CoinPeople.com

Rare Off Metal error!

This is a particularly rare error. When you see off metals they are almost always on a smaller planchet because the larger planchets don't fit into the smaller striking chamber and aren't struck. Errors like this coin are almost always done by hand and are seldom seen. If this was an US coin it would be well into the $30k range.

nwc374.jpg

This is a particularly rare error. When you see off metals they are almost always on a smaller planchet because the larger planchets don't fit into the smaller striking chamber and aren't struck. Errors like this coin are almost always done by hand and are seldom seen. If this was an US coin it would be well into the $30k range.

nwc374.jpg

Pretty cool, if it was likely done by hand do you think it was also done purposely? If not, those Malaysians should reconsider letting blind people work in the mint facility!

A question: How thin is the coin in the centre where the design is pressed? It looks like it's pretty thin there. I can see the ghosting of the designs from the opposite sides.

A very cool error, definitely! Awesome!

I do think it was intentionally made.

Since the coin is graded it is hard to tell how thick it is... the ghosting your seeing looks more like clashed dies to me then a thin coin...

• 1 month later...

I've seen this and lots of other Malaysian error coins being sold on e-bay. Most of the coins are sold by the same seller. I somehow believe that he is related to someone in the mint and tries to earn some extra $$$ (or maybe he is doing this himself). iI agree that such errors are nice, but if they are intentionally made are they worth the money people pay for it? It is more like a craftsman's work, not a mint error. Would not pay much for such coins..

Archived