CoinPeople.com

NEED SOME PRICING ADVICE PLEASE

Mike Shaver

The tremendous range in price is due to the tremendous range in condition. At one extreme you have uncirculated novodels from rare dates, at the other extreme you have the excessively worn, poorly struck, flawed planchets, corroded, etc. If you have a fairly nice set (let's say averaging VF condition, which is about as nice a set as you can get unless you are a Russian oligarch) and are looking to sell I would contact James Elmen of World-Wide Coins in Santa Rosa, CA. He runs mail bid auctions twice a year and specializes in Russian coins. The next auction is in November and he is still accepting consignments. He works on very reasonable commissions and the coins in his auctions bring nice prices. His e-mail is elmen@sonic.net.

The tremendous range in price is due to the tremendous range in condition. At one extreme you have uncirculated novodels from rare dates, at the other extreme you have the excessively worn, poorly struck, flawed planchets, corroded, etc. If you have a fairly nice set (let's say averaging VF condition, which is about as nice a set as you can get unless you are a Russian oligarch) and are looking to sell I would contact James Elmen of World-Wide Coins in Santa Rosa, CA. He runs mail bid auctions twice a year and specializes in Russian coins. The next auction is in November and he is still accepting consignments. He works on very reasonable commissions and the coins in his auctions bring nice prices. His e-mail is elmen@sonic.net.

James Elmen conducted the sale of B.F. Brekke's personal collection of Imperial coppers back in 1993. I have the catalogs from that sale, and all I can say is, Mr. Brekke, you should have waited 15 more years. I'm sure he could have achieved tens of $millions more in this current environment.

James Elmen conducted the sale of B.F. Brekke's personal collection of Imperial coppers back in 1993. I have the catalogs from that sale, and all I can say is, Mr. Brekke, you should have waited 15 more years. I'm sure he could have achieved tens of $millions more in this current environment.

Brekke was well into his eighties, IIRC, when the sale took place. Does anyone know if he is still among us?

HI .. THINKING ABOUT SELLING MY SIBERIAN COPPER. I HAVE 1, 2, 5, 10, KOPEKS .. MISSING SOME 1764 AND 1766. I CHECKED PRICES IN AUCTIONS AND EBAY AND FOUND A TREMENDOUS RANGE. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE WELCOME. THANKS IN ADVANCE .. MIKE (UGLY COPPER).

Hi Mike, I still lack the 10kop1767-- (lettered edge) and would like to replace my 10kop1767KMedge 6 (\\\\\\\\\\\\) by a nicer one (XF/AU). Do you have any of them? :ninja: Thanks, Sigi

2008_08_06_1938_43_edited.jpg2008_08_06_1937_08_edited.jpg What do you think the value is? Values that I have seen are $ 400 and up. What do knowledgable collectors say? thanks

The 1764 looks much like the novodel, though having too weak lettering on the date side and too much wear on the monogram. Novodels normally show up with very little wear or none at all. Could you show the edge, please? Thank you, Sigi

and a 1766 10 k 2008_08_06_1948_06_edited.jpg2008_08_06_1951_11_edited.jpg

Sorry to say that the "1766" (I can't recognize the date) is pretty worn and won't fetch much. :ninja:

I recently bought both 10 kop 1766 and 1767 no m/m (lettered edge) sorry no photos. Paid a horrific amount of money. But I have to agree with Sigi -- your 1767 are no good. Nothing to prove there, sorry. Sometimes it is hard to walk away from what is perceived to be a great deal on a rarity. I have stepped into that more than a couple of times myself.

As to an earlier question about Mr. Brekke, he was still arround a few months ago, but not in good health. Let us hope he gets well soon.

The 1764 looks much like the novodel, though having too weak lettering on the date side and too much wear on the monogram. Novodels normally show up with very little wear or none at all. Could you show the edge, please? Thank you, Sigi

Agreed, I had the same impression yesterday - looks more like a Novdel. Novodels do (for some reason) come worn out and rusty sometimes.

As far as the rest I do not feel sure enough to voice an opinion. But better people than I have spoken already.

Archived