CoinPeople.com

estate sales

cestrin

I ran across an estate store the other day and began to think, is an estate sale a good place to find coins? I'd imagine what coins people have will be old but then again I don't know how much of the older generation collects/collected coins. Let me know what you think and feel free to share any stories :ninja:

The only buys I have ever found and bought at an estate sale were mint 1947-1948 redbooks for $1 each.

Now THAT is a bargain! :ninja:

I was very happy to have recently won a Yeoman 1971 blue book on eBay from a Dutch seller for less than €10 incl. shipping. Fortunately, it was never used, and still in pristine condition. ;) I also have one from 1966 which has been in the family since I was in high school (now you know how old I am!).

Be carefull out there. There is a real big difference in an estate sale, estate auction, estate stores, etc. Many people have private estate sales to get rid of large amounts of items no one in the family wants when someone is deceased. Many, many estate auctions are bogus in nature. They are an accumulation of large amounts of stuff no one wants and it is turned over to a professional auction company. Many stores that appear to be going out of buisness have actually sell out to similar organizations that now hold similar massive going out of buisness sales. The auction estate sales many times are loaded with ringers. A ringer is someone hired by the auction company to bid on items to increase the amount of sale. If the ringer wins a bid, it just goes up at the next auction. Also, there are some stores that have similar types of so called estate sales.

You can really come out ahead at the normal, for real, estate sales by private people. One thing to know though is you have to ask. Many have items like coins, guns, knives and swords put away thinking it may not be to smart to have them laying around. You have to ask.

My experience has been varied with estate auctions. Sometimes I've come out great. Mostly I've noticed that a local dealer has a relationship with the auction house and has reviewed and purchased the good stuff beforehand so what's left is mostly junk. :ninja: I guess I need to make friends with an auctioneer.

One time I got some great deals at a local police auction of stolen property. I was able to view the lots a few days before and got some seated quarters and morgans for a "steal" ;) Most of the bidders at the auction were after the big stuff like appliances, electronics, etc. so there wasn't a lot of competition for the coin lots. ;)

myself never been to an estate auction but i found this auction house in a wee little town close to me where only about 5 people go to there auctions!! they sell morgans for 10$!! ive gotton 10 1963 proof sets for 5$ each!!.. almost everything is dirt cheap so im gunna be poor for the weeks to come!.

I've yet to find anything decent at yard sales. Haven't been to an estate sale.

I continue telling people that you must ASK. NO you will not find coins, guns, knives, etc at most garage/yard/estate sales. People don't want to put items like that out in public. You must ASK for such items. People that have items they are not sure about such as coins will just stay in the house. If you ask and they have someone to watch while they go get such items, they may do just that. So far I've found that only possibly one in a few hundred will have someting of value. But that one time is well, well, well worth the ability to ASK.

• 2 weeks later...

Well well written response by Carl. I've yet to find anything worth buying, that is when there's even anything of value.

Nothing like a $5 or $10 price tag on a circulated 1940s wheatie :ninja:

Archived