CoinPeople.com

Inflated Mexican dollars?

NumisMattic2200

I have probably 30,000 of those older pesos from spring break 1992, it takes 1000 old pesos to make one new peso, so that makes mine technically worth 30 new pesos, or about $3 US (about 1.50 GBP), but I don't think you can even exchange them any more. I had some friends bring back coins from mexico from a trip in 2003 and ironically, the old centavo coins from the 1970s are circulating again as they brought back several old 50-centavo coins.

Curiously Mexico is the only country in the world with silver coinage, the 20 Peso and 50 Peso coins have silver centers, that actually circulates. At least for the time being, the silver is approaching the melt value point. You have to give it to Mexico to keep trying to keep silver in their coinage, they just cannot seem to keep the peso from sliding in value.

You have to give it to Mexico to keep trying to keep silver in their coinage, they just cannot seem to keep the peso from sliding in value.

Is the Mexican peso still tied to the U.S. dollar? I remember that it was pegged at something like 8, or maybe 12 pesos, to the dollar for a long time.

Scottishmoney, I believe the only circulating mexican coins with silver content are the commemorative 100-peso coins which have a silver center, the 20 and 50 peso coins I thought had nickel centers. I don't have examples of either denomination in coins, but the 20-peso note is polymer.

Scottishmoney, I believe the only circulating mexican coins with silver content are the commemorative 100-peso coins which have a silver center, the 20 and 50 peso coins I thought had nickel centers. I don't have examples of either denomination in coins, but the 20-peso note is polymer.

I have a few 10 peso's and they all have a CN centers. My 20 peso is silver however, but I have not seen anything other than the one I own. Just on a side note, the 20 and 50 peso notes are both polymer and very pretty little notes.

Curiously Mexico is the only country in the world with silver coinage, the 20 Peso and 50 Peso coins have silver centers, that actually circulates. At least for the time being, the silver is approaching the melt value point.

The $20 has 1/4oz ASW and the $50 has 1/2oz ASW. With silver at over $16, that puts the $20 at a melt of over $4 and the $50 at a melt of over $8. Since the current exchange is roughly 10:1 to the dollar, those coins are both approaching 2x exchange rate in silver. Not quite as good as even 40% silver U.S. halves, but it's a pretty good start!

Interesting, I wonder how long that will last! My 50-peso note is paper, the only polymers I have are 20-pesos.

I lucked out because a friend went there last summer and got a polymer 50 peso.

• 4 weeks later...
I had some friends bring back coins from mexico from a trip in 2003 and ironically, the old centavo coins from the 1970s are circulating again as they brought back several old 50-centavo coins.

I wonder where they've been all that time...

Good example of how old currency can be brought back... I'm sure imperal German coins from pre-WWI could had been spent in post-WWII Germany. (not legally of course...)

Archived