CoinPeople.com

Why there is a resemblance?

tqc2002

Hi all,

I have notice that there is a similar coins design for some countries, lately I have found this:

http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/img7/29-63.jpg

and this http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/img8/149-132.jpg

the value side looks almost the same.

Why there is such a resemblance of coins?

I'm interested in more close designs of coins with USSR and Russia coisn, are there any more like Bulgaria?

Thanks

TQ

Bulgaria was a close ally of the Soviet Union during the cold war. Some earlier post WWII coins of Bulgaria were minted in Leningrad.

Another country that comes to my mind is Mongolia. Their coins of 1925-1945 were made in the USSR, silver and nickel coins were identical in size and weight to Soviet coins. Tuvinian kopecks of 1934 share the same story, except that also the smaller denominations were same as Soviet coins.

They also had lookalike paper money. Their foreign policies were very close, in fact Bulgaria could have been practically the 15th republic of the USSR. How things change quickly, now Bulgaria is NATO, EU and closely aligned with the USA. And has uniquely attractive paper money.

They also had lookalike paper money. Their foreign policies were very close, in fact Bulgaria could have been practically the 15th republic of the USSR. How things change quickly, now Bulgaria is NATO, EU and closely aligned with the USA. And has uniquely attractive paper money.

In 1981 Bulgaria and USSR issued very similar coins 1 lev and 1 rouble with name "Russian-Bulgarian Friendship". I thnk one side is just absolutely identical.

As mentioned by some of the other members, Russia and Bulgaria have always had close political and cultural ties and it's reflected on the coin and note patterns. Most of the slavic countries (Russia,Bulgaria,Serbia etc.) use the Cyrillic alphabet. Although there's variations in the alphabets from country to country, the writing and phonetics are basically similar.

I think the basic idea is a lack of creativity due to homogenisation of cultures caused by such slavic nations all being behind the Iron Curtain. The idea of wheatears for low-denomination coins is not particularly uncommon as they seem to symbolise the bread-basket of the country and the foundation of wealth as the product of the peasant farmers at the lowest level.

Thank you all for the information.

Is there another country that have close resemblance of coin design to soviet coins such as Bulgaria?

thanks

TQ

Here's a few examples of strong Soviet influence on coinage in communist countries around the world, and one defying exception.

Szechuan-Shensi Soviet

500 Cash 1934

Laos 10 Att 1980

Hungary 2 Forint 1950

Poland 5 Zlotych 1984

The Szechuan-Shensi Soviet, Laos and Hungary show very obvious Soviet or Soviet-style symbolism on their coinage. Where as Poland, although they were a communist nation with strong Soviet backing, their coins showed very little change to their coin patterns. With the exception of the crown being removed from the eagles head, the state arms remained unaltered.

Archived