CoinPeople.com

1729 Rouble in NCS slab.

Kit

I second that.

The coin is way to similar to a Chinese fake for it to be a coincidence.

Interesting to hear what Mr. WCO, as the most adamant proponent of grading services on this and other forums, has to say on the subject. Here is a chance for him to answer a question instead of asking one (or many...).

Unless one requests the coin be authenticated, they will first indicate its problems and go no further with it. This is my guess. I agree with the earlier observations on this coin's similarity with the fakes recently offered on ebay.

I agree that the coin looks suspicious.

I wonder if the slab itself is genuine. It looks real enough, but is it? :ninja:

I cannot say if the slab is authentic but the seller charges a 10 percent “restocking”

fee if returned. I do not see how such a fee can be justified under any circumstances.

RWJ

The coin seems to be ok as far as I see it. What details look suspicious to you?

Compare it to this fake sold from China:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=120254097519

The selling price was $250, about $245 more than it is worth. The buyer

or his heirs will get an unpleasant surprise in due course.

RWJ

Unless one requests the coin be authenticated, they will first indicate its problems and go no further with it. This is my guess.

The slab label says that it is "GENUINE" but "IMPROPERLY CLEANED". Also, the slab label says "GUARANTEED AUTHENTIC".

Maybe it is real, but some respected and well-informed people have reason to doubt that conclusion.

Archived