INCM pics:

10 Euros (27 grams, .500 silver) - Porto Cathedral - 2005

2005139.jpg

8 Euros (21 grams, .500 silver) - 60th aniversary of the end of WW II - 2005

2005135.jpg

The mintage is 300.000 for both coins.

Jose :B

Good question...

They started issuing the 8 Euros denominated coins for the Euro 2004, I'm guessing that this started as a marketing strategy and they decided to continue it.

On the other hand a 10 Euro coin has 27g, the 5 Euros have 14g, so proportionally the 5 Euros got an extra 0.5g, on the other hand the 8 Euros coins have 21g which is 0.6g below its proportional weight to a 10 Euro coin...

Can't believe I beat Christian on these... ;)

INCM pics:

Nice coins - will have to get those :-) As for that Porto Cathedral coin, do you know why it has a face value of €10? Two earlier ones that I have (Tomar and Evora, from the World Cultural Heritage series) were €5 coins. If this is a new/different series, it may get expensive in the long run :ninja:

One interesting thing about Portuguese collector coins is that usually they come in a regular version and in proof - and that the latter has a higher silver content (925 instead of 500). All the other specifications (size, weight, design) are the same ...

(By the way, I have not been online that much lately. Deadlines, lots of last minute changes, etc. But one of these days I will be back in shape and beat you, hehe.)

Christian

josemartins, May I ask what the purchase price for the uncirculated versions of these two coins would be if I got them in Portugal? By the time euros make it to the states they are quite expensive. None the less I started a silver commemorative euro collection in 2002 and have been adding coins whenever I can.

Christian, this is not a new series or the "World Cultural Heritage series", it's a coin from the Ibero-American series (like the 10 euros coin "Nautica"), every year (almost), Portugal, Spain and Spanish/Portuguese speaking countries in America issue a coin with a common theme (i guess it will take about 10/20 years for the USA to start issuing coins for this series, after the introduction of bilingual coins/banknotes...).

crystalk64, you can get them at face value (18 Euros for both), but "uncirculated" for modern Portuguese comemoratives is a loose term, you'll get scratches and bagmarks for sure.

:ninja:

And with the Euro sliding, I would wait a while to save some cash.

it's a coin from the Ibero-American series (like the 10 euros coin "Nautica")

Ah yes, now that you point it out, the reverse (?, side with the face value) with all those CoAs looks suspiciously familiar ... I even have the Portuguese coin from the Nautica series. :ninja:

Right, this year's Cultural Heritage coins will be Batalha and ... another one I forgot. And those are still €5 pieces :-)

Christian

Christian, this is not a new series or the "World Cultural Heritage series", it's a coin from the Ibero-American series

Here's the design of the Mexican coin of that VI Iberoamerican series:

5bellasartes5pc.jpg

The coin looks promising as the building that it depicts is beautiful.

I have been trying to collect those Iberoamerican coins, but there are expensive in most of the cases :ninja: ...

...Batalha and Angra do Heroismo... ;)

The Iberoamerican are probably one of the most interesting series of comemmorative coins, unfortunately it's a large collection (about a dozen a year) and they are all silver crowns, some of them with small mintages (only the Portuguese 1000 Escudos from 1994 - 2nd series - is priced between 150/200 Euro...), making them expensive coins. :ninja:

Jose ;)

Archived