CoinPeople.com

World vs. US

thedeadpoint

World vs. US: How much would you devote?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What % of your collection would be world coins/notes?

• 0%
    • 10%
    • 20%
    • 30%
    • 40%
    • 50%
    • 60%
    • 70%
    • 80%
    • 90%
    • 100%
  2. 2. What % of your World collection would be notes?

• 0%
    • 10%
    • 20%
    • 30%
    • 40%
    • 50%
    • 60%
    • 70%
    • 80%
    • 90%
    • 100%
  3. 3. What % of your US collection would be notes?

• 0%
    • 10%
    • 20%
    • 30%
    • 40%
    • 50%
    • 60%
    • 70%
    • 80%
    • 90%
    • 100%

In an ideal situation, you'll have the ideal budget you need to pursue the coins and notes. Not unlimited (that would be silly).

For example, since joining this forum, I've seen some great world notes and coins I'd like to add to my collection. I'd like to make at most 30% of my collection world. But since my budget is so tight now, I only add US notes/coins to my collection, so my collection doesn't reflect my interests.

Also, at the moment, most of my money goes towards my US note collection but its because the notes are a bit $$$ than the coins. So, I'd say my collection, ideally would be, 40% notes.

well my collection would be more than 90% 'world'...probably more like 98% but I just selected 90%

I have no US notes I dont spend...and my collection is almost all coins...maybe 3% notes...but I went ahead and hit 10% because I have a good sampling.

As I said in another thread...US notes and coins ARE world notes and coins...there is no reason in my mind to separate US money from the rest of the world. Nor is there any reason in my mind to LUMP world coins with ancients as I see a lot of forums and coin shows doing. Ancients is a huge catagory and world coins (without US) is also a huge catagory. Both much, much, much larger than US but US almost always is a catagory by itself and the HUGE catagories of ancient and world are often lumped together....I guess its just a matter of what country one lives in and the forums one goes to. If one was in germany I guess the shows there might have a larger percentage of german coins and US would be lumped with 'world'?

well my collection would be more than 90% 'world'...probably more like 98% but I just selected 90%

I have no US notes I dont spend...and my collection is almost all coins...maybe 3% notes...but I went ahead and hit 10% because I have a good sampling.

As I said in another thread...US notes and coins ARE world notes and coins...there is no reason in my mind to separate US money from the rest of the world. Nor is there any reason in my mind to LUMP world coins with ancients as I see a lot of forums and coin shows doing. Ancients is a huge catagory and world coins (without US) is also a huge catagory. Both much, much, much larger than US but US almost always is a catagory by itself and the HUGE catagories of ancient and world are often lumped together....I guess its just a matter of what country one lives in and the forums one goes to. If one was in germany I guess the shows there might have a larger percentage of german coins and US would be lumped with 'world'?

Totally agree. But remember, many Americans (even collectors) are very provincial. We've been taught our American geography and our American history and haven't learned much else. That precludes many of us even understanding where a "world" coin/note came from. We've also got major national pride and appreciation for our past. That's one main reason I collect US coins/notes - I like holding a dime that circulated through 2 World Wars or was spent at Wrigley Field when Babe Ruth "called" his shot.

I pretty much was done making this poll when I realized I didn't include ancients/hammereds,etc. So a big apologies out to you guys. I couldn't figure out a way to remedy that without creating many more questions!

Totally agree. But remember, many Americans (even collectors) are very provincial. We've been taught our American geography and our American history and haven't learned much else. That precludes many of us even understanding where a "world" coin/note came from. We've also got major national pride and appreciation for our past. That's one main reason I collect US coins/notes - I like holding a dime that circulated through 2 World Wars or was spent at Wrigley Field when Babe Ruth "called" his shot.

I pretty much was done making this poll when I realized I didn't include ancients/hammereds,etc. So a big apologies out to you guys. I couldn't figure out a way to remedy that without creating many more questions!

I completely respect that, I DO understand why one collects american mostly (or only), same with Canadian, Mexican, German whatever...There are some real nice old coins from america (and every other nation) I will never be able to afford. :ninja: It is only frustrating to me when you go to a show and you cant find much more than american coins. There are just so many types of coins, then tokens and medals...oh my!! I pretty much see the world of Numismatics as World Ancients / World Modern / World Paper Currency (notaphilia) / World Tokens / World Medals / Fantasy or Unusual and financial certificates.

Correct me if I am wrong (because I am a lot) but all things that most of us are here for fit under these major catagories. World could, of course, be dropped as all nations are a part of the world, it can go unsaid. But often world seems everything but the US to many. With me, I just want one of every type coin ever made...small goals. ;)

I completely respect that, I DO understand why one collects american mostly (or only), same with Canadian, Mexican, German whatever...There are some real nice old coins from america (and every other nation) I will never be able to afford. :ninja: It is only frustrating to me when you go to a show and you cant find much more than american coins. There are just so many types of coins, then tokens and medals...oh my!! I pretty much see the world of Numismatics as World Ancients / World Modern / World Paper Currency (notaphilia) / World Tokens / World Medals / Fantasy or Unusual and financial certificates.

Correct me if I am wrong (because I am a lot) but all things that most of us are here for fit under these major catagories. World could, of course, be dropped as all nations are a part of the world, it can go unsaid. But often world seems everything but the US to many. With me, I just want one of every type coin ever made...small goals. ;)

I've always been impressed with coinpeople collectors of mostly World coins/notes. We've got this big ol' "Coin Forum" and it's 90% US coins! I've always wondered why they don't create an explicitly "US Forum" and retain this forum for all general topics that apply to all collectors. I guess that would drain a lot of US collectors away from the main forum?

I'm similar to zjemller, though to a lesser degree. I have about a 50-50 world-us split. But 90% of my world coin collection has been acquired at face value or less.

I've definitely been converted to the dark side. With such a huge variety of coins out there to learn about and collect, I've been able to stay interested without having to shell out the cash to buy any coins. I think my friends and family may be getting sick of me harassing them into bringing be coins and notes home from their trips though! ; )

• 11 months later...

Vast majority of my coin collection is world, I do have a nice little US collection though LOL and the same can be said about my Banknotes, I would love to have a collection of earlier US notes as some of them are stunning in comparison with the modern ones but the cost is prohibative.

Most of my coins are from around here (primarily "euro area and neighbors"). But I have a couple of world coins too. The only world coins that I more or less actively collect are pieces from the US and, to a lesser extent, Canada and Mexico.

Christian

I collect mostly European coins, medals and banknotes from 1789-1815. Some of my medals extend out to 1852, when Wellington died, but only if the person on the medal was a player in the First Empire. My US and Canadian stuff tends to be things I acquired as a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really know at the moment because my collection (or perhaps 'collections') is all over the place at the moment.

I actually own more US coins these days than any other (since i've been hoarding junk silver), but i don't really count these as being in the 'collection' since I have those for their silver content rather than their numismatic worth. Recently i've been adding alot of scrap pre-1920 British silver to the mix as well.

The collection proper is a real mix up. Half a dozen Roman denarii, about a dozen hammered English pennies, half a dozen Ancien Regime French coins, another dozen UNC Nazi German coins, about two dozen US coins, mostly UNC Quarters (SLQ and Washers), and some US Indian head Gold. There are a number of other coins from here, there and everywhere, and a near full run of circulated UK 10p coins from 1992-2008 (all varieties included).

But i've recently acquired a dozen UNC Bank of England £1 notes so there is now a small note collection as well.

Overall you're looking at 70% world coins and 30% US coins, but there was a time when the US had a more clear majority.

Archived