CoinPeople.com

Banknote mailing...

Kristofer

I've not done much with bank notes but what are the restrictions on mailing them? I read on the customs website that as long as it's under $10,000.00 then there's no issue. Did I understand that correctly? also, can I use a standard first class stamp to mail it in a standard envelope?

I would not mail banknotes in anything that necessitated a customs form, ie too thick etc. Anything less than 1/4" does not need a customs form. Declaring banknotes on a customs form is asking for trouble, some countries do not permit them to be mailed etc. Anything looking like a letter even with cardboard is going to go through customs easily, the only time I have had something opened by customs was a large envelope coming from the Order of Malta(a very small 3 acre country in Italy). I use the flat cardboard, not the corrugated type, it provides lots of protection but is not too thick. I also put on the outside if necessary, "Photographs, Please Do Not Bend".

With coins, occasionally when they go over a certain weight you have to declare, but be selective on your wording, ie don't put "valuable gold coins" etc, but have something like "metal stampings" or "numismatic object". Recently I received a package from the UK with two very rare Scottish coins that were noted on the customs form as "museum quality reproductions".

I would not mail banknotes in anything that necessitated a customs form, ie too thick etc. Anything less than 1/4" does not need a customs form. Declaring banknotes on a customs form is asking for trouble, some countries do not permit them to be mailed etc. Anything looking like a letter even with cardboard is going to go through customs easily, the only time I have had something opened by customs was a large envelope coming from the Order of Malta(a very small 3 acre country in Italy). I use the flat cardboard, not the corrugated type, it provides lots of protection but is not too thick. I also put on the outside if necessary, "Photographs, Please Do Not Bend".

With coins, occasionally when they go over a certain weight you have to declare, but be selective on your wording, ie don't put "valuable gold coins" etc, but have something like "metal stampings" or "numismatic object". Recently I received a package from the UK with two very rare Scottish coins that were noted on the customs form as "museum quality reproductions".

Wow, that's clever! Thank you for the information. If anyone else wants to chime in... feel free.

Are you sure you weren't being ripped of by a rather honest fraudster :ninja:

I have gotten similarly worded packages from Turkey, Turkish law prohibits export of ancient coins, but not "reproductions". The best thing on the back of an envelope or package comes from Scotland of course, once a bottle of whiskey was labelled as "Water of Life" whilst banknotes were listed as hazardous medical samples.

I've received several mailings from Canada to the US that had Customs Labels on them, but most go regular mail just fine. Wherever they're from they usually have "Do Not Bend" and sometimes "Photos" written on the envelope. I have only had one package opened by Customs and that was one from Thailand, and the US Customs opened it and then sealed it with green security tape. Everything in there was just fine. In the US we've obviously had some corporate person get on the payroll and the whole thing is messed up with the weights, flats/packages, etc things. If you are sending overseas, and it's just a general letter - no issues. But if it's larger, then they require a customs form. I always put "Photos" or "Papers" on the form.

I would recommend using thin, stiff cardboard pieces to secure the banknote between. Most things I receive (and send) lately come in their own plastic banknote holder and are then sandwiched between cardboard from cereal boxes, US Priority Mail boxes that they give away free, and very often a nice tourist brochure/booklet of the kind that you get from those kiosks in hotel lobbies and other public areas that promote local attractions. These cardboards are very easy to come by and I enjoy getting them from various places I buy from. Last one I got from last week was about the Oklahoma Federal Building Memorial. It was a very nice brochure.

One thing to remember, Don't Tape the banknote to the cardboard - Not that you would. Put the banknote in another envelope or tape the cardboard around the banknote. If you place the banknote into a plastic holder or another smaller envelope that can be taped to the cardboard.

Another very efficient method is to place the banknote into a fold of a piece of paper, and then tape that to a piece of cardboard. A normal sized banknote fits well into the tri-fold of a piece of paper folded for the envelope. This works very nicely. This method usually is just a first class envelope. The weight of thicker cardboards can cause it to go over sometimes, especially on a larger banknote that uses a small manila type envelope.

I've not done much with bank notes but what are the restrictions on mailing them? I read on the customs website that as long as it's under $10,000.00 then there's no issue. Did I understand that correctly? also, can I use a standard first class stamp to mail it in a standard envelope?

Is your concern whether you are violating customs regulations, the local postal authorities rules for insurance, or the country's import/export rules pertaining to currency?

Unlike others on this forum, I don't misidentify banknotes by marking the envelope as "Photos" but rather, I use the factually correct term "Printed material." It's true, and it sounds boring enough never to arouse the interest of thieves.

I have gotten similarly worded packages from Turkey, Turkish law prohibits export of ancient coins, but not "reproductions". The best thing on the back of an envelope or package comes from Scotland of course, once a bottle of whiskey was labelled as "Water of Life" whilst banknotes were listed as hazardous medical samples.

:ninja:

Archived