CoinPeople.com

5 kopek 1853 EM - Interesting catch from eBay

kisenish

Hi gxseries, Thanks for sharing! Interestingy, 5 kopek 1853 EM is one of the rarest 5 kopek coins of this series, despite the high mintage. Ilyin rates it at 10 roubles, Uzdenikov - (-) rare, Brekke - (.-) very rare. I have many dates, also rare 5 kopek 1851 BM and 1852 BM, but this one appears to be even scarcer :ninja:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...em=230214554696

Does anybody know - Why are these coins rare if the mintage was nearly 1,5 Mio?

The 1853 mintage is high but most of these were probably dated 1852. I am missing

1852 BM and 1855 for the circulation issues of 1850–1916. The year 1855 is always

marked as common in modern references but even the major Ekaterina copper sale

of two or three years ago was missing this date; Brekke had it, but only in Fine condition.

RWJ

In my opinion, it's just tougher to find even given the high mintage number. I don't remember seeing too many of that particular type of 5 kopek, much less of the smaller denomination.

This is mine by the way.

905444.jpg

Sheath the weapon GX, but nice one anyway :ninja:

Hi gxseries, Thanks for sharing! Interestingy, 5 kopek 1853 EM is one of the rarest 5 kopek coins of this series, despite the high mintage. Ilyin rates it at 10 roubles, Uzdenikov - (-) rare, Brekke - (.-) very rare. I have many dates, also rare 5 kopek 1851 BM and 1852 BM, but this one appears to be even scarcer :ninja:

Yes, its scarce. I know of one from 2005 (Conros Auction 173, lot 330) in worse condition which fetched around 4500 roubles (180 USD).

Steve

This is one from MiM auction, to be hold in March 2008:

http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin/auction.cgi...=49&lot=465

About the same condition as the conros example. This one has an $800-$1000 estimate. If yours is genuine, I'd say you got a bargain.

Steve

About the same condition as the conros example. This one has an $800-$1000 estimate. If yours is genuine, I'd say you got a bargain.

Steve

yes, it's genuine. I got it yesterday and inspected thoroughly. Unfortunately, some idiot cleaned it in a unproper way, but it will get toned with time :ninja: Anyway, as I got it for 30 Euro, I won't send it back ;)

Archived