CoinPeople.com

Opinions wanted - 1893-CC Morgan dollar

bobh

Here is the eBay auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130194831330

Does anyone have detailed pictures of the date area of a genuine 1893-CC for comparison? I have the VAM and Breen books, but there are no detailed images, e.g., of the first few stars and how they line up with the denticles.

In particular, I don't like the looks of the denticles, mostly at the bottom of the obverse. Also, the MM doesn't appear to correspond with any of the VAM images, although it looks closest to a VAM 2. Finally, I can't make out from these pictures whether the "3" in the date is indeed the closed-3 type, as it should be.

I don't really believe that the seller knows much about these coins because a genuine 1893-CC in AU or low MS grade would be well above $2,000; however, he is also trying to sell common-date coins in similar grade for $300 which only bring $50 - $100 in AU/MS-60.

Thanks for looking! :ninja:

For some reason Anna Williams looks a tiny bit different in that image, the face looking a little bit fuller. The denticles on the edge raise flags too. They just don't look right.

LostDutchman will be the better judge though, I think he had one of these recently.

The date looks in the right position, the cc is tilted right like a VAM 2. Right off the bat on the date I don't see anything what flags it. The mm does seem a little off from the vam 2 though. (Distance of the last c to the O in dollar.) But that may be just the angle and picture.

Here is a couple close ups. from vamworld on left close up of ebay item is on right.

2-1.jpg

33.jpg

I did not get the sizes exactly right but fairly close.

Thanks, everyone!

Now that last picture with the "CC" mintmark ... the shape of the letters is a little different ... looks narrower in the coin on the left, doesn't it? Particularly the bottom curl which seems to be much larger on the eBay coin...or am I just "seeing things"? :ninja:

Thanks, everyone!

Now that last picture with the "CC" mintmark ... the shape of the letters is a little different ... looks narrower in the coin on the left, doesn't it? Particularly the bottom curl which seems to be much larger on the eBay coin...or am I just "seeing things"? :ninja:

I noticed that also, but I'm not sure since the picture is not the best. And notice how big the pixels are in the ebay shot. This could be one of those it may be a good deal and people don't bid because of the quality of pictures or it covers up some faults. That could almost be scrubbed with a brillo pad and you may not be able to see it. To me it looks lower then AU to MS also. Ef to AU, maybe but like I said the picture can cover up a lot.

My opinion is the coin is genuine, though heavily polished and therefore damaged beyond repair. If you really want the coin, pay with Paypal and use a credit card. You have nothing to lose that way. Also ask the seller about returns ahead of time.

Very poor images, nothing diagnostic to tell one way or the other. What I really don't like is it appears that the image has been heavily photoshopped. Take a look at the lower jaw and neck - a lot of smudging in that area.

Raw + poor, smudgy image = stay away.

I inverted the colors and is this what you are talking about on the jaw?

inclose.jpg

you can see it in the regular pics... looks like someone smudged it to cover some hits...

EDIT: I ran it through one of my filters.... you can see it better here

21kdu0g.jpg

Some bondo will fix that right up.

you can see it in the regular pics... looks like someone smudged it to cover some hits...

...or the diagnositics to id it as a well made die struck fake. Whatever the case, this coins does not look as represented. Some bargain hunter is gonna get ripped.

Remember the equation eBay + raw + bad image = big risk.

eBay + raw + key + bad image = Brooklyn Bridge.

Another Morgan dollar offered by the same seller ... this time, a very common date and MM:

1881-O

Incredible, but true ... someone has bid over $450 for this one! I wonder if it's a shill? :ninja:

Archived