CoinPeople.com

NGC fake slab warning

Mark Stilson

Thanks for the tips, Mark (if that is your real name...)!

Really the only time I've bought slabs in the last few years is from Heritage. I trust them... I think.

I imagine the counterfeiters will use this type of info to improve their product. It doesn't seem that they'd be in something like this as a one-time shot.

For NGC or any of the other companies faked its a damned if you do and a damned if you don't. If they don't come out with something like this everyone will be asking why don't they do anything. And reality about the only thing they have going for them is public education and the hope of help from law enforcement. At least this may help keep down numbers of fakes on the street.

Thanks for the tips, Mark (if that is your real name...)!

Really the only time I've bought slabs in the last few years is from Heritage. I trust them... I think.

Yep, Mark is my real name. Even my sons name.

I think I remember seeing something about a fake turning up on one of the known auction sties.

From the article:

HOLOGRAM DETAIL

1. There are several misspellings on the PNG portion of the counterfeit hologram. This is the easiest way to identify a fake holder in hand.

1. KNOWLEDGE is incorrectly spelled with an R as RNOWLEDGE

2. INTEGRITY is incorrectly spelled with a G as INTEGRIGY

3. NUMISMATISTS in incorrectly spelled as NUNISMATISTS

Wha? Sounds like Chinglish is being spoken here :ninja:

From the article:

Wha? Sounds like Chinglish is being spoken here :ninja:

All your base are belong to us!

The market is now being flooded with counterfeits of not only coins but the slabs as well. Not all are detectable. Same with the faked coins in them. There are some counterfeit coins being placed in real slabs, real coins in counterfeit slabs and fakes in fakes. The real coins in the fake slabs are for much higher grades. I've also seen one slab with the wrong coin and the for sure wrong grade. Could not tell the slab had been tampered with. As this coin boom increases you'll see much, much more of this.

Archived