CoinPeople.com

This is why I collect coins

thedeadpoint

Alright. I've always been enamored by any story of a collector finding a rarity in circulation. I check all my 1984 cents for a second ear. I even look for rotated dies. I know the chances of finding something are rare but there is still a chance. Its the same reason I like owning a metal detector in Central Virginia. Something is out there. I just gotta be the one to find it.

Well, this one collector was searching through a roll of 1969-S cents. Guess what he found:

1969-S Double Die Cent

Not bad, eh? they're guessing it may be a 6 figure coin.

Maybe one day... My best to date is maybe worth $5 and that was last week.

Quite the catch! I'm guessing that person has probably spent tons of money on rolls before hitting that.

but since he's a patient collector, he probably enjoyed every minute of the search

Great story and part of what keeps people searching rolls long after they've filled all the common slots in their collection.

Actually, in this case it's a bit different - buying BU rolls (at a premium) to search for varieties/errors/high grade IMO is just not the same as searching regular rolls of circulated stuff from the bank. To me, searching BU rolls just isn't as "genuine" as searching change and circulating coins - it's more of something that someone does to try to profit off rather than find coins for their collection.

I know about the eyes going bad.

I bought me one of those desk magnifying glass with the light and the arm so you can put it were you want it.

O yeah I also have a 10 power loupe with a light and I have a 30 power loupe, I also have a 30-100 power handheld go anywhere microscope. So I covered my bad eyes good.

Archived