CoinPeople.com

Where to get coins slabed

numismatic nut

I have 5 or 6 coins I want to have slabbed.Almost all are MS-65 or better and are only in safe flips. I want to two things by slabing them.One is to have tnem graded.The other one is to have them protected.One of the coins I want slabbed is a MS-65 full luster steel cent.I want to keep the luster.I know the first thing you are going to say is get an air tight.Keep in mind that I also want them graded.

So where can I get them slabbed with out being charged $12 per coin with a 5 coin or more rule?

I think thediedpoint is right. I don't think it is necessary for them to be graded the grade means nothing to me its what I think it is worth and what grade it is to me. I like how they feel to my hand and how they look without looking through plastic you can't feel a coin in a slab. When I say feel that is with cotton gloves on.

I am not sure why you would need someone to grade your coins unless you are planning on selling them or something. The Deadpoint might have been referring to me when he mentioned aversions to slabs. I think they are costly, and the grades are purely subjective. No other opinion regarding a coin means a hill of beans, only that of yourself should. Unless you are selling it to someone that wants the comfort of knowing that someone in some grading company highly regarded the coin.

I have coins in slabs, but I did not buy them for the slab, I bought them for the coin in the slab, and that is the way it should be. I have bought a proof half from a member here in this forum, and we both agree that the coin is nicer than the stupid grade that NGC or PCGS assigned it. See, I cannot even remember what company's slab it is in, 'cause I could care less.

1880pfhalfsm.jpg

Then there is this one from last year, which by the grading company's measure is not quite up:

1799dollar.jpg

All that matters to me, is I like them and that is all that counts. I didn't buy them to turn a profit, but rather to admire and love.

I think ANA members do, but you still have to send them about 6 coins at around $8.00 or $10.00 a coin and still it takes about 6 weeks to get them back even if they have no grade at all. I think if everyone quit using ANA, PCGS, and the NGC maybe they would get the idea that highway robbery isn't the way to go. They make more money than 3 or 4 of us put together. Thats just my 2 cents on this matter, I will never have a coin graded unless they lower there prices and amounts you send in.

Depending on the coins - your 43 cent as an example. You may be able to buy one already slabbed for near or less than the real cost to you in submitting them.

Here's a 43-d by PCGS with only a little while to go.

230201409198 on ebay.

Try Heritage too.

Hi

I would check out PCI as I have been using them since 1992. The rates are good 10 dollars a coin and they are a company I trust with their grading. They have been around since 1989 and are collector friendy. You can submit with out going through a coin dealer. As always this is only my two cents :ninja:

I have 5 or 6 coins I want to have slabbed.Almost all are MS-65 or better and are only in safe flips. I want to two things by slabing them.One is to have tnem graded.The other one is to have them protected.One of the coins I want slabbed is a MS-65 full luster steel cent.I want to keep the luster.I know the first thing you are going to say is get an air tight.Keep in mind that I also want them graded.

So where can I get them slabbed with out being charged $12 per coin with a 5 coin or more rule?

Hi I would check out PCI.

Have a link?

As for the 1943 it is a 1943-S MS-65( I want to see if other people grade like me).Red book says it's worth $13.50.I want to keep it nice so I think an air free enviroment (aka. slabs, air tites, koin tains, ect..) would be benaficial.

The Deadpoint might have been referring to me when he mentioned aversions to slabs.

right on, mon frere. you and others, of course :ninja:

But I don't disagree with a lot of what you say. But I do use slabs as protection of my investments when i deem necessary.

right on, mon frere. you and others, of course :ninja:

But I don't disagree with a lot of what you say. But I do use slabs as protection of my investments when i deem necessary.

Airtites work just as well and are quite a bit less costly and are easier to liberate the coins from should you wish to repackage them somehow. Like I say I have coins in slabs because that was how they came, and I am not going to liberate them, but they are the most likely coins I will sell in the future, ie the 1799 Draped Bust dollar etc. In fact that one may go in January or so so that I can buy more Scottish.

I dont know about PCI. I have seen lots and lots of questionable coins in their holders including quite a few counterfeits and altered coins

I have a MS-63 morgan that looks like a 62 in a PCI slab.But I paied a EF price for it so it wasn't that bad.But I did but it at the ANA worlds fair of money.So I'm not really woried.

Contact the Chinese Embassy. The Chinese are presently counterfeiting coins and the slabs they are in. You could probably get them graded as high as MS1000 by them and in a slab that looks like one of our better graders. Of course a PCGS would probably be PGCS, NGC would probably be NCG. Some are already appearing at coin shows and dealers are selling them as novelties for now.

If your coins are not worth more than $100, I'd forget it if I were you. Waste of money.

If you want that for coin protection, again, wasting money.

Almost any coin album with plastic slides and put into a zip type freezer bag with as much air as possible pushed out will work as well or better than such slabs.

Archived