CoinPeople.com

Frustrated and on the verge of Baking

TreasureGirl

I can't get my ASE's to change color. They've been under the projector (until my hubby got mad at me for moving it so much), under my laptop (until it started overheating), in the window (until it got cold like this) and now it's above the heat registers on the floor, which still aren't hardly ever on. All this since June. Should I give in and bake them? I'm not trying to make them more desirable for anyone other than me; I only want my own little piece of art. If I were to bake them in those envelopes, at what temperature should I do it for how long? I don't want the envelopes catching fire.

Thanks!

TG

hahaha.... im glad this is the first post I've read today. can't start off much better than this.

I dunno though. Can an oven get hotter than a laptop battery?

I think humidity would help. In Houston stuff "tones" fast. Maybe try a few match heads wrapped in the napkin. (Not touching but a layer or two away.)

It is not only the humidity in Houston, but all the carcinogens belching out of all the petro-chemical plants there.

I would say you can set your oven at 220 but don't leave it longer than 15min without checking it. I've not tried this so I'm just guessing but the boiling point of water is 210 and paper won't burn at that.

different metal but i tried a new pres dollor in the oven then put it in water over night( three days of this) and i had a purple pres dollor!!! it was a beauty but being me i gave it away.

different metal but i tried a new pres dollor in the oven then put it in water over night( three days of this) and i had a purple pres dollor!!! it was a beauty but being me i gave it away.

You could always use chemicals, but uh......certain ones scream "IM AN A.T. COIN, LOOK AT MEEEEE!!!!!!!". Just avoid hot pink and electric blue and you'll be fine, lol. Seriously though, false toning is simple if you know how it's done. I can have a blast white coin go every color of the rainbow, even jet black if I want within about 5 minutes. I work with metal most of my school time, I make jewelry, mostly silver...so yeah....I don't like toned coins, too easily faked. However, I don't know if spilling the beans on what I use would be a good idea on a public forum. :ninja:

You could always use chemicals, but uh......certain ones scream "IM AN A.T. COIN, LOOK AT MEEEEE!!!!!!!". Just avoid hot pink and electric blue and you'll be fine, lol. Seriously though, false toning is simple if you know how it's done. I can have a blast white coin go every color of the rainbow, even jet black if I want within about 5 minutes. I work with metal most of my school time, I make jewelry, mostly silver...so yeah....I don't like toned coins, too easily faked. However, I don't know if spilling the beans on what I use would be a good idea on a public forum. ;)

"However, I don't know if spilling the beans on what I use would be a good idea on a public forum. "

I've read similar regarding AT'ing coins on public forums... and don't get it. What's the problem? Unless your methods involve illegal substances or processes which could endanger the forum public then I see no problem letting folks who want to create thier own AT'ed coin know how.... unless your one of the folks cashing in on creating them, then submitting them in mass to TPG'ers and reselling $10 toned coins for $250. Give everyone the knowledge of how to create near impossible to detect AT'ed coins and the fleecing just may be put to an end and we can all begin to discuss how to create blast white coins from neon colored coins. :ninja:

My reasoning is basically this:

Method becomes common public knowledge

Everyone and their brother can tone NT looking AT coins

Newbies wont know the difference and get stuck with AT coins

Some jackass will claim their coins are NT when they are not Etc etc etc.....

You get my point, just because I know it, doesn't mean everyone else should. As long as I am not making AT coins I see no big deal. If everyone can create NT looking AT coins, the fleecing won't stop, trust me.

I have worked as a machinest most of my life untill I got hurt working on my on roof. So as far as toning metal I could do it and make it look good. I think I could get it to pass through PCGS but I wouldn't do that I don't care much for toned coins. But you do silver different than some of the other metals they are all done different.

That's very true, you can't tone certain metals the way I can tone silver, but it does work for copper, brass, and 10-14kt gold. Although the gold only changes to deeper shapes of yellow/orange. It all depends on the amount of copper the metal alloy has, it really only reacts with the copper atoms.

Gold is the hardest to tone. I would rather have shiny gold. I will agree copper is the key to the colors and it don't take much copper in a coin to change its color. I guess we better hold it off there.

Sooooo... Vfox, if I were to send you my ASE's, you could save me months worth of trouble and give me something that looked like this:

IMGP4817_edited.jpg

IMGP4818_edited.jpg

^^^ Thanks to drwstr123

And it wouldn't me a "monster" toner with scary chem lab colors?

That's very true, you can't tone certain metals the way I can tone silver, but it does work for copper, brass, and 10-14kt gold. Although the gold only changes to deeper shapes of yellow/orange. It all depends on the amount of copper the metal alloy has, it really only reacts with the copper atoms.

Hey V and moneydog, could you guys post some of your AT coins in different metals? I'd love to see your handiwork and see what you mean by "deeper shades of yellow/orange." Thanks!

I don't tone my coins, or any normally, but I will try and find some untoned silver amongst my junk to show the different color ranges that the toning chemicals can create. Currently I don't have any gold either, I'm just a poor college student afterall. :ninja: But, I'll try and get some examples up shortly.

TreasureGirl, I don't know if I can get rim toning to look like NT or not, it is a submersive technique, but I may be able to apply it directly to the rims for that effect. I will play around a bit and let you know.

The thing about what I use is, it's a tricky mistress, a little too much can lead to a total gray-out of the metal, which is similar to gun-metal in color. But before it reaches that stage the colors go yellow, amber, red, purple, blue, brown, and then gray, black. Green is a little tricky and falls in between amber and red, and lasts in transition for a very short period of time. Basically this can be done slowly, and that is what I will try, a VERY dilute solution, and only momentary dipping. There are other, probably better chemicals out there for this, but the one I use isn't very toxic, and works well for my jewelry, which is its intended use.

Archived