CoinPeople.com

Frustrated and on the verge of Baking

TreasureGirl

Well I played around a little, but I surely need more practice before I can AT a coin properly, but have a look at these. Which ones are AT and which ones are NT? Btw, the overly glossy quarter was a found in change proof.

6okjrl5.jpg

80ovyqd.jpg

7xuhwxz.jpg

73ai33s.jpg

6qa1kio.jpg

6pt6rrl.jpg

6y5l1r5.jpg

6yfrpxh.jpg

Nah, just brushed on the toning agent. Honestly though, with a little practice this can look fairly decent. Plus I need to dilute it more, it changed way to fast for me to control properly....hence the spotty ugly look.

Next time around I'll shoot for a little more toned down (no pun intended) coloration. Maybe some golds and reds?

To me those coins are ruined silver is ment to be shiny. That is why I would not even try to tone one all mine are shiny and that is the way I hope they stay. I don't even have any I would like to try that on.

All of those are already melted down and turned into silver sheet for some jewerly I'm working on. My own personal opinion is just like yours, silver is meant to be spotless.

I wonder if you could do that to hammered coins... :ninja:

But don't try it!

I'm sure that with some practice they could look wonderful, but I prefer my silver just the way it is!

- Clive.

I've made my own hammered coins, and for the project I designed them for I needed to "antique" them with this method. I got some nice reds, purples, and blues from them as well.

Here are some pics:

7133eyh.jpg

7xsdwmf.jpg

Yes I did, and thank you. That was one of the silver coins, I only made 6 of those, along with 3 14kt gold, 35 copper, 20 brass, and 3 bronze. I still have the dies, so I plan on making more when I get the time, I had fun making them.

Vfox, do you have a website or blog of pics of your jewelry, hammered pieces, dies, etc? What you're doing sounds like SO MUCH FUN to me! I make beaded jewelry all the time because I have no idea how to shape metal even though I'd love to learn, and minting your own coins is just downright cool.

YOC, once I had the dies make, which took about an hour to punch, it's like 15 minutes a coin. It takes about 10 seconds to press one (I use a roll press), and another 14+ minutes to cut the coin from its square blank, hammer the edges to remove the sharp edge and give it a more "aged" feel, and a moment or two to tone and age it.

TG, no I don't have a website right now, but I do have photos of some of the cockroach jewelry I made, haha. Like I said in other posts I raise and breed cockroaches (Dwarf giant cave roaches, not a pest species) and scorpions, and I love to use them in my designs. And yes, I love making jewelry and working with metal, but I am really going to school to be an art teacher, not a jeweler. But, I have fun anyway. :ninja:

Here is some of my stuff: I'll take more pics later, I have loads of different things. ;)

87dwcw5.jpg

6xax8io.jpg

Here are two of my roaches, B. dubia, and the big one is B. fusca (hybrid of fusca, craniifer, discoid, and giganteus)

8afm051.jpg

Thanks Dustin, but I actually took the roach off of it, it was too busy. I cast somewhere around 25 of those small roaches, and only about 15 of the came out nice, the rest were full of pitting. I did cast one of the large fusca like in the photo and turned it into a pendant. I'll get a pic of that once my student show is over. I can't seem to find my dang camera right now either, I'll try and find it tomorrow to take some more pics.

Haha, sorry about that guys, I keep forgetting that everyone else thinks they are creepy/gross, lol. At least I didn't post a huge pic of one of my scorpions right? :ninja:

Haha, sorry about that guys, I keep forgetting that everyone else thinks they are creepy/gross, lol. At least I didn't post a huge pic of one of my scorpions right? :ninja:

I dunno. Scorpions arent as far on the icky scale as roaches.

PS. when was the last time you heard a 21-year old dude say 'icky'

I prefer scorpions, I've had some bad experiences with cockroaches whilst on holiday... lol

I never knew that icky was a real word, you learn something new everyday eh?

Archived