CoinPeople.com

Cleaned coins

corkykile

You left out to many details. For example did you use soap? How much soap, if used? Did you add bleach or did the soap contain bleach? Use fabric softener? Use Ammonia? How many cycles were they in there? Do you have a water softener? Does your laundry go through water from a water softener? Was there any grease in his clothing? Did you run them through a dryer?

See, we need more details.

Now if you think this is all just for fun, no not really. You see if you just rinsed the clothing with normal water and only one cycle the coin(s) would probably not be effected at all. If you use bleaches, strong soaps, Ammonia, have hard water, all could effect a coin. One of the processes of a water softener is to replace hard metals with softer ones or basically speaking. You then end up with NaCl in your water which is why this water should never be used to water house plants. NaCl is otherwise known as SALT.

Running the clothing through several cycles also could eventually cause nicks, dents, scratches, etc. Some fabrics contain harsh substances to help preserve the materials. This also does not help coinage.

So as noted need more info.

Hi Carl,

(((For example did you use soap)))

I only use organic cleaning products in my home. This product is one small capful per load... front loading machine. There was no bleach, ammonia, or fabric softener. One cycle with cold water. No water softener for the household needs, only filters for water we use for drinking, cooking and ice making. The coins rattled out when I was removing the pants and transferring them to the dryer, so they didn't get cooked. I know the coins were circulated before he got them... he only collects coins because people insist he take change when he buys things. It bugs him to have all that weight in his pocket.

As a matter of fact, he would probably prefer the government quit wasting 'his' money making coins. It is amazing I became a coin collector a few months ago. On top of all that, I am actually allergic to all metals. Can't wear any kind of metal, not even 24kt gold.

Boy you sure opened a can of worms here.

Did you really want to know all of this...? :ninja:

Corky

I've never seen a coin come out of the washing machine that looked different than when it went in. I think it would take a lot harsher detergent to make a difference unless the coin had goo on it.

So, my opinion: consider it normal circulation and wear.

Fatcat

PS If you were sprayed by a skunk and washed the clothes in tomato juice that might effect the coins. :ninja:

As mentioned it almost sounds like joking but many chemicals have effects on coins or any metals actually. You must remember that all metals react with some gases to form compounds. Some more so than others. So many people state that Gold, for instance, does not react with other substances. This too is in error. Gold reacts with Sulfur, Chlorine and other substances. Your many different soaps contain numerous substances and many are not stipulated on the containers due to proprietary patent situations. Without the actual chemical formulae of a soap, fabric softener, etc. it is difficult to assertain the final results of coins exposed to such a situation as a washing machine.

From what you discribe I would guess those coins have had very little effect from the washing machine experience.

Odd alergy for sure. Being allergic to ALL metals is difficult to understand since so many metals are present in so many different forms and many not or hardly detectable. For example all those toys made in China that contained Lead in the paint. Did you ever have a reaction to such items? Do you use table salt? It contains Sodium, a metal and it is realeased as a free metal in water being an electrovalen compound. Many autos are painted with metal flake paint. Are you allergic to modern cars? Batteries, computers, lamps, watches, door knobs, door hindges, etc. Metal is everywhere. Most concrete has metal rebars and that would mean you could not touch concrete. Are you aware of the metal strips in some of our currency?

Hi Carl,

I really do appreciate your knowledge about the chemicals and odd things that can cause a coin to be uncollectable.

The trip through the washing machine didn't seem to affect the natural glow of the nickel or dimes, and it did not affect the cartwheel of the penny. Although I must admit that finding a coin that clean in circulation would leave me to believe it might have been cleaned in a manner not accepted by our collecting community.

On the other hand, maybe this is a good way to clean certain coins... :ninja:

As far as the metal allergies go, it is true that I cannot have metal touching my skin. I have had reactions to just about every metal used for eyeglasses, watches, necklaces, rings, bracelets, and the metal rivets in trousers, and believe it or not, to the gold and amalgamate fillings in my teeth. My dentist had to replace four front crowns with porceline crowns after we discovered the gold inside the crowns I had were making my gums sore and infected. Since then, no problem.

The problem with coins is when I am rolling them to take to the bank. Handling the coins causes my hands to start aching and itching after awhile, at which time I stop and begin later when the problem has had time to resolve itself.

As far as the other metals are concerned, tableware, etc., I try to keep contact at a minimum. That includes other things that have metal in them. Oh, by the way, even if I could wear a watch, it would have a short life on my wrist... everyone I have owned has died on me. Too much electricity in my system. Oh, and I do not have to worry about toys as I am a bit too old for them... and I do not use salt because of my food allergies.

Unfortunately my allergies don't stop there, but I won't go into that here. It is just that I have gotten so use to the problems that avoiding the obvious contacts and limiting my actual contact is much easier than if I had just one allergy.

Thanks for being concerned.

Corky

My hands itch as well when I hold coins! Especially older ones. After much research my local dealer diagnosed it as an allergic reaction to a deficiency of 19th century silver in my system! Anyway, My daughter has many of the symtoms you describe. Even Sterling Silver jewelry will cause her skin to break out.

If you find a bad crusted coin metel detecting we use sand laundry detergent and water in a tumbler it does great or just use laundry detergent and water in a quart jar shake it a little and let it set for 2 days. So I don't think laundry detergent will harm a coin washing it might ding it up but the chemicals won't hurt it.

WOW. Not sure I've ever heard of anyone with so many allergies. Sure is weird. Should try John Hopkins Hospitals. Sorry to hear about all that. I wouldn't be able to handle that. I collect coins, guns, knives, cars (real ones) and many other metalic items.

Thanks for the idea Carl.

Problem is, I cannot travel on public transportation, especially airplanes. There is a great chance of airborn allergens, such as perfumes, after shave, people eating peanuts and such, even bananas and citrus fruit, can cause a very bad allergic reaction. In the theater if there are people eating popcorn around me it causes my eyes to burn and my throat to get scratchy, and I have had to leave.

It is a good thing my immediate family and friends are very understanding about this problem. Apparently less than 1% of the population has severe oral food allergies. Believe me, it has changed my life and caused me no end of problems.

Someday we might get an rv and I will be able to travel because I can control the environment in an rv.

Corky

If you find a bad crusted coin metel detecting we use sand laundry detergent and water in a tumbler it does great or just use laundry detergent and water in a quart jar shake it a little and let it set for 2 days. So I don't think laundry detergent will harm a coin washing it might ding it up but the chemicals won't hurt it.

For metal detected coins, I would only use dish soap. I would be afraid that ground minarals affected the metal and the soap would have a bad reaction with it. :ninja:

If it had real bad crusting I would use electrostatus(SP?).

If a coin acidently went through the wash I'd say minor damage maby, but I woun't lose sleep over that form of "cleaning".

Sorry to hear about your allergies corky. ;)

Archived