CoinPeople.com

Announcing A Winner of The Cointest

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The person that influenced my collecting habits the most…well, it’s more of a network of people. I’m sorry, I cannot limit myself to one person.

Well first, it would help to know what my habits are. The main things are a) how much it costs (must be cheap!) ;) silver content c) MUST BE CHEAP! and c) can it fit into my U.S type set? (The only actual collecting goal I am very slowly working towards.)

The very most influential people are, of course, my parents. Y’know that look they give/gave you when you (in their opinion anyways) did something…irrational, to put it politely? Ya, well I hate it. A lot. And I usually get it when I blow some money, which isn’t often, thank god. So that’s where the cheap part comes in. To try to justify my purchases, I look for silver. Not meaning to open a can of worms, but I think silver is a solid investment. And I like silver. Nice and heavy, with that distinct color among the new base metal coinage…what’s not to like?

The network part of it is my fellow Coinpeeps. Seriously, you guys are lifesavers if you are a budding numismatist. Advice, ideas, Ids, information, cointests, everything you’d ever want. You guys are the best! You helped me learn the numismatic lingo, cement my love of cool darkside coins when I won like 5 contests in a row, helped me when I needed help, and gave me a great place to buy cheap coins! (Boy that was a mouthful)

All Canadian coins bear the same obverse, which is an effigy of the current British Monarch. The reverses differ for each denomination, and they are currently; Penny (1 Cent)=Maple Leaf, Nickel (5 cents)=Beaver, Dime (10 cents)=The Bluenose, Quarter (25 Cents)=Caribou, and the never used in circulation 50 cent piece bears Canada’s coat of arms. They were all introduced 70 (going on 71) years ago (Time for something new? Defiantly!) They where designed by artists G.E. Kruger-Gray and Emanuel Hahn. In 1987, the ever-famous Loonie (1 Dollar) was introduced, picturing, you guessed it, a loon on the reverse. The reverse was designed by Robert Carmichael. In 1996 the Toonie was introduced, bearing a bear on the reverse. (Some wanted to call it the ‘beary’…) It is Canada’s first and only bi-metallic coin in circulation. The reverse was designed by Brent Townsend. The current effigy used by the Canadian Mint for the obverse of all circulating coins is called the uncrowned effigy, designed by Susan Blunt.

Getting to the question, I think artists G.E. Kruger-Gray and Emanuel Hahn where the most influential people on Canadian money, aesthetically speaking. I think since they where the people that designed the coins we use without them, our coins would look different. I won’t go into the business portion of this that the outlines leave open, because I don’t have an icicles chance in hell to remotely understand it, much less include it in an essay.

My most favorite coin must be the US Morgan Dollar. I have always loved the coin, named after its artist, George T. Morgan. It’s intricate detail, the beautiful Liberty on the obverse and the majestic eagle on the reverse, it’s all just amazing! It’s the first coin I spent more than $2 on, and I got a beautifully toned Liberty with a blast white eagle, from which I understand it to be bag-toned. (Many bags of silver dollars were sitting in treasury vaults until the 1960’s, due to the Bland-Allison act, which mandated that the mint buy so much silver from the Comstock Lode.) I also love Morgans because of there silver content - 0.77 troy ounces, and the fact that they are relatively cheap, due to them piling up for decades.

I agree, this was really fun to write! Thanks so much Dave for the chance to win the super-duper double-galooper prize! ;)

But still...Jr. High kid thats written maybe 4 essays, and my arch enemies fellow contestants are freaking university tanks. Ah well, worth a shot :ninja:

TreasureGirl put in a valiant effort, despite her lack of confidence here. By a hair she wins the competition, but by no means was this an easy decision, even with a mere two entrants, both of whom deserve accolades for their work.

Now for making the other YN's wish they had entered... Drumroll puhleez....

The Grand Prize Winner, otherwise known as TreasureGirl wins a yellow coloured coin, but sorry it is not chocolate centered like you seemed to have indicated you preferred. It, I believe, will be your first of said varietal for your collection and will be posted tomorrow.

First Prize winner... is BigCanadianM, and he will have to PM his address so he can duly receive the silver coloured coin, sorry no chocolate inside :ninja:

Both of you are free to post pics of your prizes whence you receive them, and rub the non-entrants noses in for not even bothering to participate in my fair cointest. ;)

TreasureGirl put in a valiant effort, despite her lack of confidence here. By a hair she wins the competition, but by no means was this an easy decision, even with a mere two entrants, both of whom deserve accolades for their work.

Now for making the other YN's wish they had entered... Drumroll puhleez....

The Grand Prize Winner, otherwise known as TreasureGirl wins a yellow coloured coin, but sorry it is not chocolate centered like you seemed to have indicated you preferred. It, I believe, will be your first of said varietal for your collection and will be posted tomorrow.

First Prize winner... is BigCanadianM, and he will have to PM his address so he can duly receive the silver coloured coin, sorry no chocolate inside :ninja:

Both of you are free to post pics of your prizes whence you receive them, and rub the non-entrants noses in for not even bothering to participate in my fair cointest. ;)

sorry for not subitting mine it was halfway done then i had a lil family emergency but everythings ok but congrats!!!

I hope your stress out was worth it. Today I had the last of my finals, and I stressed out over nothing. It was a breeze, just took all 2 hours of the class. Now I am getting into the final semester of my degree programme and I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel, but a bit of wonderment as to what I will do then to fill my need for edumacation.

Congratulations to the winners and entrants. Sorry to hear about your family emergency Dustin.

Great contest. Thanks Scottishmoney.

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhhh....... the IRS will be needing about .4 grams of that prize! A vise and a good steel rasp should extract that much in less than a minute. Too easy. Just catch the shavings in an envelope and mail them in. Job well done.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

TG seems to have SD carditis or something. Curiously enough she got the Canadian coin, whilst the Canadian got the USA coin :ninja:

Somehow I think the YN's would have been knocking each other over if they only knew in advance what the Grand Prize is/was. It was yellow flavoured, but no chocolate in the centre.

Archived