CoinPeople.com

$1 dollar coin spending this holiday season

Nightwing

I had this idea....

I went to my bank this past week and picked up a new roll for each of the 4 presidential $1 coins currently released. My intention is during my holiday shopping to spend at least one from each series for each purchase (if possible or applicable). My idea is if the clerk or cashier is interested enough then he or she might trade out the coins for themselves or give them away this holiday season as a stocking stuffer to someone.

I'm not sure if I'll end up doing this due to a couple factors (one being if I even use cash for the small amount of purchases I make), but I was curious if anyone else had the same idea and would be doing this? Anyone not have this idea, but will be doing this after reading my post?? LOL

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!

Oh, that's a neat idea. Whenever there are little ones in my family again I'm going to ensure that they all dollar or half dollar coins from the tooth fairy, Santa, the Easter bunny, etc.!

I like the dollars and half dollars for tips. I even use some Ikes when I can get them. We eat out a lot around the holidays and I honestly think most of the servers like the coins. Many have commented that they give them to their kids to save/collect. I usually leave some regular dollar bills along with the coins so the server gets something for their "wages".

I always give each of my grandkids a coin of some kind. Most get wasted/spent/lost/thrown away but there are a few that have stuck. You just never know what will activate the collecting gene.

Hi Ken,

My grand daughter gets golden dollars from the tooth fairy... believe me she would love to get the coin shown in your avatar.

She has been enamored with horses from her first sighting, and now the love is greater than anything before. I have been secretly buying bank notes and finding coins with horses depicted to give to her someday.

Corky

Oh, that's a neat idea. Whenever there are little ones in my family again I'm going to ensure that they all dollar or half dollar coins from the tooth fairy, Santa, the Easter bunny, etc.!

Hi Treasure,

I had a big handful of not-so-good pres dollars and used them to buy my sweet husband a gift for his birthday. There is a small brand name electronics store in our little shopping center here in our little town. When I paid for the purchase with the coins the young lady at the register was hesitant to accept them. "Whats this?" I explained about the presidential dollars and she had no knowledge of them at all. The owner of the store was within earshot so he came over to examine the money then smiled and let her accept them. We go in the store for electronic things all the time so I knew he didn't think I was trying to pull a fast one.

I wonder if other store clerks would be as hesitant. Maybe we could all report back here with our 'Presidential Coin Spending Stories". Oh, you can host it if you want to... I haven't a clue how to do that and I think I am too old to understand all of what is involved. :ninja:

Corky

I wonder if other store clerks would be as hesitant. Maybe we could all report back here with our 'Presidential Coin Spending Stories".

Oh, that might be a neat idea. Throughout the year I've used them at gas stations, a couple of fast food joints, and at my local supermarket which has express lane checkouts that accept the $1 coins. So far I've not run into any issues with people not knowing what they are or people giving me strange looks :ninja:

You know, the only outcome of this venture is higher demand and price for us in the future... :ninja: Too bad it's so much fun!

For some reason it is a lot of fun. If the demand is kept up then the US Mint will continue to produce a large number and banks will continue to order them for their customers.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did some holiday shopping this evening and spent nearly an entire rolls worth of the $1 coins; actually it was $24 spread across the 4 different series.

I got two "Where did you get these from" comments from two different people at two different locations of the same pharmacy chain. I told them both calmly I just ask for them from the bank. I told the cashier at the first stop I wanted to spend the coins around the holiday season. The cashier at the second location gave me my first "whoa." Also, both cashiers stopped to examine the coins before putting them in their drawers, but after they had already counted the money I handed them. It was great. It was a breeze to just pull them from my coat pocket and not dig for my wallet! :ninja: (Oh, and in case your curious I went to the two different locations to see if the second location had a different gift card holder for someone, which they were out of when I got there. So I got a couple of other things I passed up at the first stop.)

At another location, which was technically my second stop and not one of the two locations above, the cashier just counted them and put them in his register's drawer.

Archived