CoinPeople.com

check out these coin boxes

jonathang5565

I collect coins, i also own a custom woodworking business. I made myself some boxes to put my 2x2s in and after a few people seen them they wanted one and suggested that i sell them on ebay or something. I'm trying to decide whether or not to make a few hundred of them. Do you think they would sell? also how much do you think i could get for them? They are top of the line high quality made. I can make them out of oak, maple, cherry, and spanish cedar. I could probably make a few hundred in a day but the question is will they be worth it.

HPIM0477.JPG

HPIM0478.JPG

Nice boxes - I really like that! But my concern is, you need to understand that no matter what happens, these coin boxes will not release any kind of gas that will affect the coins. Theortically if those coins are slabbed, it shouldn't matter much but you can never tell... you don't want angry customers coming after you 10 years later. Perhaps GDJMSP might be able to tell you a better story about wood related products since it's not my field. :ninja: Thanks for showing by the way.

I dont think it would hurt anything, i put 2 clear coats of polyurethane on it. I thought about that before i made them because i made one of spanish cedar (they make high end cigar cases out of it) and its a very acidic wood and im sure unslabed coins would eventually do something they shouldnt if i left the inside natural and unfinished (like cigar boxes).

I dont think it would hurt anything, i put 2 clear coats of polyurethane on it. I thought about that before i made them because i made one of spanish cedar (they make high end cigar cases out of it) and its a very acidic wood and im sure unslabed coins would eventually do something they shouldnt if i left the inside natural and unfinished (like cigar boxes).

I work with both oil based and water based polys on a regular basis (I paint houses). Polyurethanes will let off a low emission gas. I don't know what the effects would be on storage of coins or currency.

I work with both oil based and water based polys on a regular basis (I paint houses). Polyurethanes will let off a low emission gas. I don't know what the effects would be on storage of coins or currency.

I know this will sound strange but your best bet would be to not apply any kind of finish the wood. Any finish you use will off-gas and potentially harm coins, whether water-based or not. I would use a seasoned (no more than 8% moisture) hardwood like mahogany and finish the wood with a superfine sandpaper, say 400 grit. Such a container would be 100% safe for coin storage.

Nice idea and boxes.:ninja: I think they should sell well but as gpnyc has already pointed out most coin boxes or cabinets are made from Mahogany as it is deemed to be the safest wood to keep coins in. I have the box pictured on the link below:

Link to Peter Nichols Cabinet Makers

As you might have noticed the outside is varnished but the trays are unvarnished.

The link might also give you ideas incase you fancy going a step further into coin cabinet making.

Ah, mahogany (expensive). I have a ton of spanish cedar but no mahogany. We use the spanish cedar to make casings for mahogany exterior doors. We use it because it is cheaper than mahogany and looks exactly the same. But i believe it has a high acidic level of the wood. It would be hard to make the boxes custom made out of mahogany for $15. I may just pick up some mahogany off the next jobsite i see some at LOL. What else would do good?

They do look nice and one nice thing is you could make them as big as anyone wants them. For example you could make them to hold 50, 100 or even 500 2x2's. Also you could make them to hold slabs. The cardboard ones in Red or Black at coin shows sell for $1 to $5 pending the size. I think yours would sell fairly well but exactly where would you sell them. If via the internet, ebay, etc. you would have to throw in shipping and handling and insurances and that would also jack up the price naturally. The downside is if the cost became to large, they just wouldn't sell that well. Then there is the fact that they are made to look nice but not many people display items with coins or currency anyway so, again, not a big seller idea. Not sure how you would get those items accross to the general public but the internet is probably the best bet there.

Now the really bad thing is all woods are pourous. If you didn't coat them well, they would absorb moisture and/or give off gasses that could eventually attack the coins. Although if in a 2x2 it appears coins are safe from the elements, not always the truth. Air is air and difficult to keep out. If you coated the insides, again the coating material may emit gasses that could effect the coins. Some coating materials do not dry completely for a long time and a little heat could make them sticky and mess up the 2x2's. Then there is the size problem. The wood would have to be thick enough to make the boxes safe from easily being crushed, dented, etc. The cardboard ones absorb dents due to flexability. Wood would probably shatter or break is dropped. If thick enough, they would also take up room and many collectors have enough coin storage problems already. For example I have 9 of those foot long, red cardboard boxes with two rows for 2x2's. If they were the wooden ones, they would probably take up much more space and that is something I don't have.

All in all not a bad idea.

I get your point but just storage isn't all that i'm going for. You say you have many of the cardboard boxes, i have a few also. All i think is that coin collectors may want a nice box to put their favorite type coins or all dates collections in. I know i wouldnt want to throw my favorites in a cardboard box and kick it under the edge of the bed (which happens to a lot of the ones i dont really like) so i keep them in a box like this one on a book shelf. I think I'm going to make a few boxes to see how it goes. I'll make it large enough for slabbed coins so there wont be any risk in the coins being damaged.

Archived