CoinPeople.com

Stamps

daggit

At one time I used to go to coin and stamp shows and buy lots of older stamps for face value, then use them. The best were the 1/4¢ stamps, but I used them and the 1/2¢ stamps a long time ago. I still have a bunch of 1¢ and 3¢ stamps mostly from the 1920's on up, I will use them if someone doesn't buy them - they are postage to me.

I used to buy stamps in a little Stamp Shop in Boca Raton. The owner always had bags of old stamps for sale at face value. They were a kick to use. I stopped at a store north of Atlanta a few years ago and the guy asked me if I wanted any old mint stamps. I asked the price and he said 20% off face if you take $100 or more. So I did. Christmas cards had a lot of stamps on them that year....

I have never understood selling old stamps for face or even a 20% discount, when you can just use them. Lately I have been burning through 8¢ and 10¢ stamps and a few peepers have probably seen them, and there will be more going tomorrow or Thursday.

I never understood it either but getting $100 worth for $80 was too good to pass up. I still remember when I was a kid my father selling a huge book of sheets of mint stamps that covered every issue for something like 8 years. He was mad as all heck becuase no one would pay even face for them. He ended up selling them for 75 cents on the dollar. Pretty sad.

I passively collected stamps for a couple of years when I was a kid. I still have them somewhere in a box, mostly Year Sets(?) they just have no interest to me. I have a few Ukrainian stamps that I have saved, but I don't bother with stamps other than using the old ones and buying colourful ones to use on mail.

I passively collected stamps for a couple of years when I was a kid. I still have them somewhere in a box, mostly Year Sets(?) they just have no interest to me. I have a few Ukrainian stamps that I have saved, but I don't bother with stamps other than using the old ones and buying colourful ones to use on mail.

I really like your avatar. I should take it to stamps.com and have stamps printed in that design. :ninja:;);)

I have never understood selling old stamps for face or even a 20% discount, when you can just use them. Lately I have been burning through 8¢ and 10¢ stamps and a few peepers have probably seen them, and there will be more going tomorrow or Thursday.

Scottishmoney

I believe it was me that was going to buy those stamps a couple months ago..

Sorry, I moved & forgot all about them.. May still be interested.! I believe you have my e-mail addy.

FWIW, most stamps post 1930 or so arent worth anymore than face.. The people selling these "bulk stamps" bought them for pennies on the $ by buying a massive bulk lot.. They in turn break it down in smaller lots to resale.. On the flip side, most people buy the stamps to use as postage just as you mentioned.! However, some (like me) buy them in bulk to search for error stamps just as coin collectors hunt pocket change for goodies.. I dont do the bulk stamp thing anymore.! I have a new addition with the cherrypicking.. :ninja:

Archived