CoinPeople.com

Design a Currency Note Contest

I think one of the greatest things about collecting paper currency is the variety of designs and motifs present on different notes out there.

Have you ever saw a note though, and thought: I could design this better? Here's your chance. I like this place because of the good people here, and the wealth of knowledge from the people here, and I want to give back. So, i'd like to have a contest.

Design your own currency

Create, design and print your own piece of currency.

• there are no size restrictions
  • it should be double sided
  • it can be hand written or printed
  • it has to be for a virtual or non-existent country

Once created and printed, scan it and then post the scan in this thread, then PM me to get the address to send the created note itself to.

Prizes!

1st Place - (3) Taiwanese 50 Yuan Polymer Notes

2nd Place - (1) Hong Kong 10 Dollar Polymer Note

3rd Place - (1) Set of 100, 200 and 500 Malagasy Ariary Notes

Popular Vote Winner - Portable Currency Checker Blacklight

Is anyone interested in showing off their creativity and entering the contest?

Edit 1 - We'll close the contest in 3 weeks, which means by 9 September the created note must be postmarked and sent to me, and the scan itself (both sides) must be posted for viewing in this thread.

Once the contest closes, I will post the scans in another thread for voting, and the winner will get the popular vote prize.

If anyone has any questions, or ideas to add, feel free to post them.

Mods: can you move this thread to the Contest Forum?

Okay - Here arere my first two attempts:

4vsm334.jpg

4mtt8wg.jpg

Like I said before, I had most of these made up before hand. The 50 Simolean note has a vignette of my cities downtown park reduced from a photo to a 'sketch'. The 100 Simolean has a vignette on the reverse of I don't know what, I got this and the image for the medallion from the web. I hope that's allowed :ninja:

They are signed by my dogs. Storm E. Weather is posthumously signed, however.

great notes dave! i remember seeing them as your avatar way back when. did you ever print any, or have they stayed digital?

Thank you.

I have printed them, but only to see if I could, and how they'd turn out. They do pretty well, actually. I think that I might take a slight spritz of a spray starch to them (to stay crispy) if I were to print them for any other reason, though. The ink on the paper gets pretty heavy. Printing on two sheets and glueing them together is just too much work, and they are then too thick.

I've been working on a new design for a 75 simolean, but I can't decide on the final reverse design. If I get it soon, I'll post it as well. So far I have a 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 100, and of course the 75 in work.

Truth be told, seeing your designed SanMiguel notes and those Coin People banknotes helped to inspire me to play around with these. So - when's yours going to be up here?

This is just an offer but where I work we have a huge CLC (color laser copier) that prints both sides without heavy ink (powder)...if you like, I can print out your bills on the CLC on heavy paper....PM me if you are interested. This is how I am going to print my bill (will have it done by this weekend :ninja: )

It's great to see that people are interested in doing this! I've always wanted to host my own contest.

A couple of things I found while doing this for an economics project in the past:

- It's extremely hard to line up front and back images on one sheet of paper.

- places like AC Moore and Michaels sell all kinds of specialty paper (i used an extremely fine linen type that felt like US money and a vellum, almost polymerlike one for the other one.

- you can create a watermark like optical shifting color band with certain types of stamp ink, bought at one of the above places

- i've also found the cleanest results come from printing by layer (background elements, foreground elements, shifting ink)

I am trying to find the ones I did for a project before, if I can find the box with the 2 bundles worth that were made, i'd consider sending some out to contest entrants.

Edit: Found a couple of old ones I did many years ago.

1000Lobv.GIF

1000Lrev.GIF

1000 Leaf Note/ with watermark

50Lobv.GIF

50Lrev.GIF

50 Leaf Note

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I haven't gotten in any more entries. =(

That's too bad! It seemed like there were interested people, but hardly anyone who wanted to enter the contest. I was really hoping to see some other entries - I know there's a few out there who have some amazing talent in designing them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bummer. I haven't checked on this thread in a while because I'm not very talented and I didn't have the time. I'm disappointed to see few entries. I figure that the CPers who have been here for years would have posted. Thanks for doing this though, Grant.

Archived