CoinPeople.com

Fun with Macro

Drusus

Got some medals and coins and been having fun taking photos of them and getting macro shots...here is a medal I think I showed earlier with photos I took on the fly...I took some better photos:

piusix.jpg

piusixobv1.jpg

piusixobv2.jpg

piusixobv3.jpg

piusixrev.jpg

macro1.jpg

macro2.jpg

Fantastic pictures!!!

May I ask what your set-up is?

I work in marketing and design so I am kinda lucky to have good equipment...I now use a Nikon D200 with a Vibration Reduction macro lens. I have read the whole manual for this camera and know it like the back of my hand now. I have a setting just for taking coin picts that I feel is best, a light table...and a steady hand. I take about 10-20 picts of every coin...and I kind know the best distance for different size coins to get the clearest shot. I go through the batch and pick the best reverse and best obv (IMO). While I take pics I rotate the coin to get the light source to hit the coin from different angles to see which angle is best of the coin and gives the best shadow and light play.

You're lucky to have the chance to use a Nikon D200. Here it costs 2000 euro...

I've tried one Panasonic FZ50 but the objective was without vibration reduction... so the pics were blurry.

My wife bought me a Sony Power Shot S3IS (6.0) for our anniversary in June, and I've been trying WITH GREAT FRUSTRATION to take a good macro shot... I continue to experiment with it, because the Nikon D200 is no option, and I HATE the way my scanner blanks out the contrast between fields and highlights :ninja: . Thanks for the idea Drusus of comparing different light angles, will try.

i take my pictures on a black piece of felt... for some reason my camera just makes it a pure black background...

same here...though it matters how much light I am using as to if it requires further work to give off the pure black background. On the whole I cut the obverse and reverse out using the lasso tool in PS and paste them into a pre sized template I keep and drag the two sides on to that...the black felt helps because then you dont have to be terribly exact when you cut them out since the background you shot on is black and the background you are pasting into is also black.

Nice shots I definitly must get a Macro lens to my camera!!

Got some medals and coins and been having fun taking photos of them and getting macro shots...here is a medal I think I showed earlier with photos I took on the fly...I took some better photos:

piusix.jpg

piusixobv1.jpg

piusixobv2.jpg

piusixobv3.jpg

piusixrev.jpg

macro1.jpg

macro2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Archived