CoinPeople.com

I tried, but these prices as MAD!

janneen

I wanted to pay for it 100-120 Euro. Even 150 would be too much. I estimated though this coin to be sold at ~350 USD. But if the coin is in a nearly perfect condition, there is no limit. Especially if somebody doesn't know how to spend their money ;)

PS Dear Janne, I sent out your coin yesterday :ninja:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

I remember this coin being sold last year with $800 (slabbed prooflike). I know this coin is rare, but anyway...What's your opinion?

Janne

Amazing price for this not that rare coin (it is not that rare as listed in almost all catalogues, which also tells that every next catalogue authors take the info from the previous catalogues and rarely do any research). I sold this same coin in NGC MS-67Prooflike just a few months ago for $995 (not $800).

http://i01.expertcollector.com/uploads/0003000239_1.jpg

WCO

Amazing price for this not that rare coin (it is not that rare as listed in almost all catalogues, which also tells that every next catalogue authors take the info from the previous catalogues and rarely do any research). I sold this same coin in NGC MS-67Prooflike just a few months ago for $995 (not $800).

http://i01.expertcollector.com/uploads/0003000239_1.jpg

WCO

It is of course true that catalogues build on previous works but a great of research has gone into the major works since Severin; in my work on the Russian silver of 1796–1917 I listed this coin as scarce based on the difficulty in acquiring it as well as sales records going back, for example, to the Herman Blank auction of 1908. I also consulted dealers, etc. Perhaps WCO will let us know just which cataloguers "rarely do any research."

RWJ

It is of course true that catalogues build on previous works but a great of research has gone into the major works since Severin; in my work on the Russian silver of 1796–1917 I listed this coin as scarce based on the difficulty in acquiring it as well as sales records going back, for example, to the Herman Blank auction of 1908. I also consulted dealers, etc. Perhaps WCO will let us know just which cataloguers "rarely do any research."

RWJ

Perhaps after he'll write his own one.

RWJ

RWJ,

I didn't mean to say anything about your catalogue or any catalogue in partucular. But you know that writers of most catalogues base their works on other printed sources and therefore duplicate often the same mistakes. Examples are indefinite, no reason to start pointing out. You think this coin is very difficult to asquire. And I don't think so. This is just my opinion. I think that this coin is extremely overpriced in not that choice condition for over $1500, but may be you think differently.

WCO

Where can I buy one?

But seriously, I'm trying to collect a silver type coin set (1811-1917) in decent grades. Four coins

are still missing: Wings down poltina and 10 kopeks, 1833-1846 type 20 kopeks and this 5 kopeks 1859.

My classification is mostly based on Uzdenikov, of course there are varieties, but that's another story...maybe after the type set.

My most recent buys are 10 and 15 kopeks 1917 and 1845 10 kopeks.

Janne

RWJ,

I didn't mean to say anything about your catalogue or any catalogue in partucular. But you know that writers of most catalogues base their works on other printed sources and therefore duplicate often the same mistakes. Examples are indefinite, no reason to start pointing out. You think this coin is very difficult to asquire. And I don't think so. This is just my opinion. I think that this coin is extremely overpriced in not that choice condition for over $1500, but may be you think differently.

WCO

Yes, Price is CRAZY!!! ;)

Also I remember about 67PL that was sold about 1k.

I Agree and I could pay that much to have it.

But for this one??? No way!

I can Guess that Seller was thinking that this coin is PROOF. (looks from picture) but again, I'm not sure that it can be proof.

I think it even has cleaned signs. So very soon we will see on e-bay this coin OR graded about PF64 or UNC VERY RARE (but without notice that cleaned :ninja: )

Archived