CoinPeople.com

Yes, a terrible shock - Russia II Jens Aalborg collection

sigistenz

In November 2006 I did not realize that the fine range of Aalborg coins offered then had only been 1/3 of his collection (with Russia II sold now

and Russia III announced for Sep 2007). I then thought, OK, very nice coins but look at what he did not have. I bade pretty high on 6 coins with no success. I was surprised that there came a part II. This time I bade even higher. Wanting #1260 (5kop1788CPM) I accidentally placed my high bid on #1259, a very ordinary lot of two EM 5kop pcs. (link below). It was not possible to retract my error bid. To my greatest surprise, even there I was outbid with $361(+20%)!!! At a 5kop1788EM and 5kop1791EM, not even in best possible condtion!!!

Not to speak of 1260 itself or the others I had bidden on. Where shall this end? It took me some hard shocks to quit smoking. Things like this will maybe help to throw the chains off of my collecting slavery? Sigi

http://www.thauctions.com/default.aspx?doc...;s=&c1=1001

Where shall this end? It took me some hard shocks to quit smoking. Things like this will maybe help to throw the chains off of my collecting slavery? Sigi <br>

I liked that :ninja: Another question is: what is going to happen when it does end? I wonder who is doing most buying nowdays...

I personally believe that the prices were insane and I have no logical/reasonable explanation for that. I did not bid on many coins, because there were not that many that interested me. I think that the first part had better material. However, I did bid pretty high on the 1830 spb 5 kopek. I thought that I would get it for sure. I was surprised to learn that I was the unlucky underbidder. This coin, however, warranted every penny of the winning bid. The original 1830 spb 5 kop is a very rare coin. I cannot say the same about 1827 3 kop. That winning bid really surprised me. I thought that it could go as high as $20-$25K given the fact that it is supposedly ex. Klingert.

time to start smoking again, sigi :ninja:

and ;)

btw, i have a horrible 1788 cpm, i will post a pic if you are interested for your archives.

some good undercoins showing, but flan is bent. wont lay on the scanner, so i ll shoot it with the camera if you like, this weekend.

i have a horrible 1788 cpm, i will post a pic if you are interested for your archives.

some good undercoins showing, but flan is bent. wont lay on the scanner, so i ll shoot it with the camera if you like, this weekend.

squirrel, that is interesting - my 5kop1788CPM is bent as well, that's why I was going to exchange it. Please contribute the picture, I will scan or photograph mine, too, one of the next days. I think my coin must have got bent with the overstriking?? Looking forward, thank you, Sigi

squirrel, that is interesting - my 5kop1788CPM is bent as well, that's why I was going to exchange it. Please contribute the picture, I will scan or photograph mine, too, one of the next days. I think my coin must have got bent with the overstriking?? Looking forward, thank you, Sigi

will do. i will photograph it this weekend, and post it here. There is no trauma to the coin to suggest the cause of the bend, other than in striking. weird. at first, i thought maybe someone used it to pry open the lid off an oil drum? Really messes up my little album of 2x2's. I will also photgraph my conical shaped 1796 EM. which is even odder. :ninja:;)

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get the two catalogues and they are extraordinory publications - the range of overstruck coins is astonishing.

Photography of the coins is superb and provides an excellent reference guide

I have noted from the catalogues that there were a few brockages in these auctions

These two were in Russia 1

Item 2392 - 2 kopek 18?? St Petersburg Mint. It's a full reverse brockage i.e. one of the reverses is an incuse negative image - Alexander 1

Item 2465 - 2 Kopek 18?? - Monogram Image both sides - Its an obverse brockage (one side negative incuse) - beautiful example of a fully centred brockage - Nicholas 1

Archived