CoinPeople.com

new to errors - is this rare?

Sorry for the lack of a photo to go with this, I can't figure out how to get my camera to focus on something this small... I'll work on it though and hope to update. Thanks for reading anyway!

I was looking through a roll of quarters today and I found a pretty sweet looking one. It's a 1981d quarter. Over the reverse is the bottom half of the reverse of a memorial cent. It covers the body of the eagle and it's left wing. You can clearly read "ONE CENT" - but the lettering is backwards.

Everyone's enthusiastic posts on CoinPeople's Error and Variety Coin Forum finally got me to start looking for errors. I'd never been into it before. I bought ten rolls of quarters today and this was in the first one. Any idea if it is something that happened at the mint or just someone smashing a penny into a quarter?

Thanks!

Welcome to CP, SBS!

I'm guessing, without seeing it, I'd say it was a penny smashed into a quarter (or the other way around). But if the ONE CENT was raised, that's another story. Raised design features are probably mint produced, if they are incused into the coin then someone probably smashed them in post mint.

Others here know more than I do.

I encourage you to stick around!

• 1 month later...

yeah it sounds like a sqeeze job to me. my grandpa used to take two buffalo nickles and smash them togeth and he would sell them to the local drunks for 5$ lol he told them t was an error and worth hundreds in the 40s

Like yourself, I was having trouble taking great pictures like I see here on CoinPeople. I was about to buy an expensive digital camera with a marco lens when someone here said try using a scanner. I have a El Cheapo" and have been amazed with some of the pics I've been able to get. Still haven't figured out the way to get them to post correctly on CP but I'll work on that. Hope this might solve the photo problem!

PS...I've seen a guy press a nickel into the edge of a penny and was asking $25 for them!!

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the lack of a photo to go with this, I can't figure out how to get my camera to focus on something this small... I'll work on it though and hope to update. Thanks for reading anyway!

I was looking through a roll of quarters today and I found a pretty sweet looking one. It's a 1981d quarter. Over the reverse is the bottom half of the reverse of a memorial cent. It covers the body of the eagle and it's left wing. You can clearly read "ONE CENT" - but the lettering is backwards.

Everyone's enthusiastic posts on CoinPeople's Error and Variety Coin Forum finally got me to start looking for errors. I'd never been into it before. I bought ten rolls of quarters today and this was in the first one. Any idea if it is something that happened at the mint or just someone smashing a penny into a quarter?

Thanks!

Hello

I just started collecting so I wouldn't be much help as far as the error coin ??..

However, as far as getting good close ups without a expensive cammera, use your loop.!

The cammera eye will focus thru the loop just as the human eye will, its just a matter of getting the correct distance from the coin/object. To crop in a small area, use 2x power on the cammera & shoot thru a 6x loop.

Shots thru a 12x loop are a little more difficult but dynamite if needed..

Hope that helps.

Cherry picker

Hello

I just started collecting so I wouldn't be much help as far as the error coin ??..

However, as far as getting good close ups without a expensive cammera, use your loop.!

The cammera eye will focus thru the loop just as the human eye will, its just a matter of getting the correct distance from the coin/object. To crop in a small area, use 2x power on the cammera & shoot thru a 6x loop.

Shots thru a 12x loop are a little more difficult but dynamite if needed..

Hope that helps.

Cherry picker

Yep! Here is a picture I took using that method... Its a little overkill.... but it sure does the job.

6hdw5cn.jpg

Archived