CoinPeople.com

Do you have a QEII Banknote in your collection ?

see323

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The earliest note with a portrait of now Queen Elizabeth was a Canadian $20 from the Bank of Canada that was issued in 1935 during the reign of George V. Then Princess Elizabeth was not even then a direct heir to the throne as the next in line was Prince David, better known as Edward VIII when he assumed the throne. Only his subsequent abdication in December of 1936 brought Elizabeth into the direct line for the throne.

From the Bank of Canada site:

p_1235ea.gif

The issued note of this series was issued a full eighteen years before any other banknotes with Elizabeth's portrait were released, and is the only one with her has a then 9 yr old child.

At one time, I wanted to collect and keep one of these one and only world note with young Queen EII Portrait. Most of available ones are expensive and in very poor condition. :ninja:

If you would have noticed before, QEII Portrait used in both New Zealand and Australia are unique. They are not been used in the other Commonwealth countries such as Cayman Islands, Belize, Gibrator, Mauritius etc. Even the Canadian ones ( famous devil hair in 1954 series ) are also unique and are not been used in other countries. I believe they actually use their own photographer to take a picture of QEII and later based on the photograph to be engrave onto the banknotes. Below are the pieces in my collection.

AustraliaBB03555555-Back-800.jpg

NZ1980s1AGF000005-800.jpg

Canada519545555555-800.jpg

In the case of earlier colonial countries of British Empire such as the Malaya and British Borneo pieces that I have in my collection, they actually took from a series of QEII photographs taken from one session of phototaking for use in the banknotes. I cannot remember the photographer. If you have seen my Straits Settlement and Malaya flash show ( http://www.notepassion.com/Straits-Notes.html ) , you would have notice a QEII portrait ( See below ) This portrait was widely used in the earlier time. It was also used in the early Cyprus QEII banknotes and many other countries. It is also my favourite QEII portrait.

QEIIClassicCrown.jpg

HM20Queen20Elizabeth20II20Signed20P.jpg

2006_04_10t165357_289x450_us_britai.jpg

That's all for now. Contribution from others. :ninja:

same here! i've heard about the devil hair, but everytime i look at one i can't find the face.

The 1954 $5 that I have in my collection is a modified Devil Face or Devil Hair. In 2004, when I started my world 555555 collection, I was very curious with the Devilish thing on the Canadian note. There were many reports on Devil face etc on the internet with a number of authors have writing on it but never one person try to explain how to identify it. After I acquired the whole set of 1954 $5 solid 1111111 to 9999999, I started examine further on this modified set and devilish pieces. Sidetrack abit. Sometimes it is beginner luck as I was determine to get hold of the 1954 $5 5555555 for my collection. Coincidently, I found and bought the whole set ( 1111111 to 9999999 ) from a USA dealer at a 4 figure amount (US$). It was a sure bravery since I told myself that I only want to keep the $5. The other eight pieces of solids were sold over a few months. I got back a huge profit ( most profitable set that I have ever sold ) many times of what I paid plus some bonus rare piece of solid 555555 from exchanges with fellow collector friends and customers. Even today, the value of Canadian 1954 solids are rising and better priced than in 2004. If you are looking for investment, go for the Canadian 1954 solids.

Back to devil hair. It is actually the hair that curl like a ear. The upper part of the hair above the ear. The devilish protrait appear in the earlier series of the Canada 1954 $1, $2, $5, $10, ....etc...They are scarce as the demand exceed supply. Do expect to find a UNC piece for it as they will be extremely expensive. Some collectors are still looking for replacement and solid number Devil face notes. This will add further into the overall value of the notes. I should say it is quite impossible.

QEII Portrait changes with period / fashion notably the hairstyles.

:ninja:

The first prefix A555555 5 Pounders from Guernsey was acquired in 2004 when I first started with World Solid 555555. It was a very good acquisition for my collection. A good friend from Canada help me to acquire it from a friend from Guernsey. The friend in Guernsey is now my friend. The QEII Portraits is the prettist at an older age. Should easily qualify the QEII as the prettist Queen on world banknotes.

Guerney%205%20pounds%20A555555%20-800.jpg

The link to Guernsey solid collection is at : http://www.notepassion.com/NP-BN-WS-555555-Guernsey.html

:ninja:

Another Lizzie, this time Falklands Islands 50 pence and oen of my favourite designs ever issued with her portrait

905687A.jpg

905687B.jpg

I always love to have one of this in unc but never manage to win one in ebay. :ninja:

Suprisingly it is in aUNC condition there is an ever so light bend to the note lengthways but it's hardly noticable at all unless you hold it at a certain angle

Most of the time, lightly bend banknotes cannot be seen when you scan the notes. If you use a digital camera to take the surface of the note at an angle with light falling on it, these bends will be seen quite clearly.

There is still a differences in value between an uncirculated and an almost uncirculated note.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aidan Work

Don't forget,Rhodesia also issued some banknotes with Queen Elizabeth II on them between 1964 & 1968.Zambia also had a Proof banknote depicting Queen Elizabeth II,as did Ceylon.

The East Caribbean Bank's banknotes are actually issued for different islands.The suffix letter at the end of the serial numbers indicates which island the note was issued on.The Dominican issues still depict the Queen,even though Dominica became an independent British Commonwealth republic in 1978.

The Pick catalogue has a list of the code letters,& which island each letter has been assigned to.

Aidan.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived