CoinPeople.com

Do you have a QEII Banknote in your collection ?

see323

If you have a banknote with QEII Portrait, why not post it in this topic. We can showcase an extensive World QEII collection from members of CoinPeople. Whether it is a solid number or an ordinary serial number QEII banknotes, all are welcome to post and write. Do write a little interesting story behind on how you got the note into your collection. Let me get the ball rolling.

Here is an extremely rare 1953 $1 Malaya and British Borneo solid 555555 QEII Portrait in perfect uncirculated condition. So far there is no sightings of any uncirculated piece in any private collection, world auction houses in Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. This note was once circulated in these few countries during the 1950s. This piece was acquired in 2006 from a Brazilian ebay seller. Unfortunately, I lost the auction bid and a fellow Singapore collector won it. Not sure how true it is, later the Brazilian ebay seller wanted to buy it back from the collector. In the end, I managed to acquire it from the fellow collector. This is also my most expensive banknote acquired in recent times.

QEII-Ship1MatchingC71555555.jpg

:ninja:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you have a banknote with QEII Portrait, why not post it in this topic. We can showcase an extensive World QEII collection from members of CoinPeople. Whether it is a solid number or an ordinary serial number QEII banknotes, all are welcome to post and write. Do write a little interesting story behind on how you got the note into your collection. Let me get the ball rolling.

Here is an extremely rare 1953 $1 Malaya and British Borneo solid 555555 QEII Portrait in perfect uncirculated condition. So far there is no sightings of any uncirculated piece in any private collection, world auction houses in Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. This note was once circulated in these few countries during the 1950s. This piece was acquired in 2006 from a Brazilian ebay seller. Unfortunately, I lost the auction bid and a fellow Singapore collector won it. Not sure how true it is, later the Brazilian ebay seller wanted to buy it back from the collector. In the end, I managed to acquire it from the fellow collector. This is also my most expensive banknote acquired in recent times.

QEII-Ship1MatchingC71555555.jpg

I almost forgot to tell the story about these two notes. Both have prefix A/71 555555. A perfect match. The QEII $1 is the last piece of banknote with the British Queen portrait. It was also the first piece of $1 with the QEII Portrait. The Singapore Ship $1 is the last $1 note used in the Singapore Currency. In 1987, Singapore started using the $1 coin.

Here is the story of my first purchase from ebay in 2004. It's a 1962 1 Pound 888888. I did not know that it was a highly sought after note at that time. Paid only a 3 figure amount. It was considered reasonable although I did not know much about solid at their market prices. I was hoping to find a 555555. Somehow, when we wanted to find a note that we wanted, we just cannot find it. In the early 2006, I managed to find an Australian seller who has a 555555 with the same design but a much later issued date with a Page signature. The 888888 was a Hollom signature which was supposed to be scarcer. I paid 555555 at a three figure amount and later sold off the 888888 for a 4 figure amount. It was a relatively good deal since I get to keep the 555555 note for my collection and at the same I have some spare money to buy other notes for my collection. That was the most profitable note that I have ever bought and later sold off privately. It was indeed a good solid 888888 with a good rare signature. The note is in perfect original condition. That's the story of these two QEII notes.

England1962888888-front700SOLD.jpg

England19701PoundDR69555555-600.jpg

;)

This is it!

898236A.jpg

898235A.jpg

897908A.jpg

897907A.jpg

Well! I guess I had more than I thought! Amazing really.... I wonder if anyone has ever come up with a list of how many different notes she has been on? Too many to count, I'd bet!

Neat thread, See323! I enjoyed seeing the changes in her from long ago to just yesterday. I don't know of too many others whose portrait is on coins or notes that show such a lifespan.

rbs52002r.jpg

rbs52002f.jpg

The three Scottish note issuing banks have each come out with too many commemoratives in my opinion, but Royal Bank has issued two very significant commemoratives, the first for the 100th birthday of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, and then for the 50th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's reign. However, reference to Queen Elizabeth in Scotland by her regnal ordinal is a bit of a touchy subject, many do in fact take exception to her being referred to as Queen Elizabeth II. There never was a Queen Elizabeth I of Scotland, and Queen Elizabeth I only reigned in England, whilst her cousin, Mary Queen of Scots reigned in Scotland. So for this reason, note the tactful and non-controversial omission of the regnal ordinal on this particular reverse. One of my only two favoured Scottish banknote commemoratives, with a very important and worthwhile commemoration.

Another Queen Elizabeth, and many people's favourite Royal:

rbs2000.jpg

Royal Bank £20 commemorating the 100th birthday of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in 2000. One £100 note was also printed for presentation to Her Highness on the occasion of her birthday.

the C series notes are my favorite on the whole. I also love the centennial dollar that everyone on CP seems to have.

Maybe can enlighten me on the C series notes ? Post a photo of it here in this thread. :ninja:

When I started collecting in 1986 which focus on Straits Settlements and Malaya banknotes, QEII portrait appear in the 1953 issue of the Malaya and British Borneo banknotes. At that time, it was quite cheap especially for the smallest denomination of $1 ( The first banknote listed on this thread ). I bought them in stacks ( 50 pieces in running and one stack was 93 pieces in running number ) and later sold them away in one of the coin convention to USA and other foreign dealers. I kept some and over the years, sold them away bit by bit. The Queen Portrait was one of the most beautiful among all her other portraits. The other denomination are $5, $10, $50, $100, $1000, $10,000. Those $1000 and $10,000 only exists in specimen, proof pieces which once in a while appear in international auction all over the world.

The $100 is the most difficult to find in nice condition even 20 years ago. There are quite a number $50 around but they are most in VF to AEF condition. If you buy them today, they may be pressed, washed and graded AUNC. This apply to even $5, $10 as well. I once help a friend to sell off a set of these notes. He paid high for them as he did not know that they were washed and pressed. When I examined the notes, they were indeed washed and pressed. I do not sell washed and pressed notes. If I do sell them, I will state them clearly. They look good in their sealed plastic sheet. But when they are opened and take out from the plastic sheet, all truth were revealed. Some even started to curl up slowly and show signs of heavy water-pressed notes. They are also very thin. Be exceptionally careful when purchasing them. If you think that it is a good buy with such nice looking note and such good price, you may be taken for a ride.

Here is a popular special number note which I acquired 3 years ago. It has been pressed ( I do not mind ). I go for the special number solely for my collection since I won't be able to find another one with such suitable number for my collection.

900505A.jpg

Here is my earlier collection $10 in original uncirculated condition.

900506A.jpg

This $50 earlier collection is in original EF condition. It almost look like an AU.

900507A.jpg

This $100 earlier collection is in VF to GVF condition. I was never able to find a better condition than this one. Unfortunately, the prices of truly original high grade condition have risen over the years. Even for this piece, it is still very expensive in today's market. Serious collectors only go for original condition pieces. The truth is that when you start selling them away one day, you won't get a good price for it. A one hundred bill is terribly huge in the 1950s. In those days, not many people have seen and let alone use a $100 bill in their daily transactions.

900508A.jpg

For those who have not join in the fun to showcase your QEII Portrait banknote, you can do it right away. Get the QEII Portrait banknotes to have a big party in CP. :ninja: Who knows, CP members collection may even be better than the book written on QEII banknotes. ;)

The earliest note with a portrait of now Queen Elizabeth was a Canadian $20 from the Bank of Canada that was issued in 1935 during the reign of George V. Then Princess Elizabeth was not even then a direct heir to the throne as the next in line was Prince David, better known as Edward VIII when he assumed the throne. Only his subsequent abdication in December of 1936 brought Elizabeth into the direct line for the throne.

From the Bank of Canada site:

p_1235ea.gif

The issued note of this series was issued a full eighteen years before any other banknotes with Elizabeth's portrait were released, and is the only one with her has a then 9 yr old child.

Maybe can enlighten me on the C series notes ? Post a photo of it here in this thread. :ninja:

You'll have to wait for others to enlighten you because I only know what the captions say ;)

You'll have to wait for others to enlighten you because I only know what the captions say ;)

These are the Series C Bank Of England notes:

904416A.jpg

904417A.jpg

904635A.jpg

906011A.jpg

The 10/- & £1 notes were done be one designer & the £5 & £10 done by another, hence the different portraits

EDIT: £10 note now added, I finally got one :ninja:;);)

Archived