CoinPeople.com

Evolution of a collector

ccg

Over the past two years especially, I've found myself spending more time researching the history around the pieces I own rather than buy more pieces.

A much smaller budget (Many college textbooks these days run $100 each easily!) as well as completion of easier portions of type sets (I think I've got pretty much all US type coins that could be had for <$20 in F) has led me to spend more and more time learning about them.

The more I understand about a certain time and place (especially for ancients), the more I find that I am able to understand why it was issued, and appreciate it for what it is (economically, historically, and artistically).

That being so, I find that there is a lesser urge to have to go out and buy more pieces, as I can derive more enjoyment from what I have. That being so, I've been more interested in books.

Is anyone else going through this?

Over the past two years especially, I've found myself spending more time researching the history around the pieces I own rather than buy more pieces.

A much smaller budget (Many college textbooks these days run $100 each easily!) as well as completion of easier portions of type sets (I think I've got pretty much all US type coins that could be had for <$20 in F) has led me to spend more and more time learning about them.

The more I understand about a certain time and place (especially for ancients), the more I find that I am able to understand why it was issued, and appreciate it for what it is (economically, historically, and artistically).

That being so, I find that there is a lesser urge to have to go out and buy more pieces, as I can derive more enjoyment from what I have. That being so, I've been more interested in books.

Yes, that is pretty much exactly what I go through. Except, that once my level of understanding reaches a certain point, not only do I not want more pieces but I typically sell what I have to start on the next area.

Well kind of. This past year I sold my entire collection and am no longer collecting coins at all. My focus has instead shifted to the study of the coins entirely and thus the purchase of ever more and more books. Of course I also do a great deal of searching for information on the net for it is ever increasing. So yes, I have been and am going through this, but to a different degree. For I have found that for me I derive a greater enjoyment from the study of the coins that I ever did from the possession or collecting of them.

A few years back I would just buy coins for the value, or the design, which seems to be what most first collectors start out doing after the "from circulation" stage. Recently, within the last 4 years I've gotten a number of books, magazines, and online information regarding my coins and have vastly increased my knowledge of each coin I own, as well as intend to one day own.

I will probably never sell my entire collection, especially my older US coins because I know when I sell them, I will never want to pay todays market prices for them lol. So, I am not making any money on collecting like I once was, and being poor and in college, I cannot spend the money I once could on coins. I am lucky if I can budget enough for anything anymore.

So I am in a very similar situation, save I still own my coins. I can't afford much, and I am always looking for reference books and die listing books and whatnot to get more and more information on certain coins. So, without getting a larger collection, I am getting more info. But, like most people in college, once they get the "real" job, they will have money to spend once again, and most start collecting again. I know I'm looking forward to that lol.

I made the mistake of selling my complete collection in the 70's, to buy my first computer. This is a decision I have regretted ever since. I keep seeing coins for sale, that were in my old collection, at prices I just cannot afford! The thing is, I didn't really need a computer, as I was studying with the Open University, and had access to a computer through that. Ah! If only we could have hindsight BEFORE the event! :ninja:

You are running into a problem that is normal for most people but just don't know the solution. You see the more you learn the smarter you get. Then the smarter you get the more things you want to know so you buy books, watch educational programs, log on to this forum. Now as you acquire all this knowledge you realize there is still so much you don't know so you try and try to learn everything only to realize the more you know the more you realize how dumb you really are. I suggest you stop reading and learning before your find this out and become like me.

Archived