CoinPeople.com

Most change returned at one time?

Burks

What's the most change you have ever returned at one time?

Today I returned $48.72 in CENTS to the bank in one of those mint bags. The lady had to bring a cart over to carry the bag to the counting machine. Took about 10 minutes to count all of them. :ninja:

I told her I'd be back in about a month with probably double that amount. She said go right ahead!

This teller was completely cool about the whole thing. Never got sarcastic, snippy, or anything. She said at least I brought the coins in a bag that can hold them! Other people bring them in inside of garbage bags, Wal-Mart bags, etc.

I don't see how they could get angry. Just dump the bag and come back 10 minutes later. They were really, really slow today (business wise).

I have an old Royal Canadian Mint canvas bag for 1963 cents that I use to take change back. The most I have returned to the bank was some $300+ back in October 2000, it was money we had saved in a jug for several years to take a trip, and shortly thereafter we traveled to France.

Lately I think my largest returns are a bit over $50, mostly cents, but also accumulations of nickels dimes and quarters.

Just over $278 at the credit union about 16 months ago.

I have a plastic jar/bin that I take in once or twice a year. It's usually somewhere between $100 and $200

$560 in rolled halves. A few years back I was bored and bought all the halves I coud find to search through. Found 5 rolls of 40% and about $12 face in 90% in the four hours the search lasted.

Guest Aidan Work

Surely you can post coins into the CoinStar counting machine & get notes back for all that change you've deposited.For example,you could put in $500 in quarters,& get $500 in notes back.

Aidan.

Surely you can post coins into the CoinStar counting machine & get notes back for all that change you've deposited.For example,you could put in $500 in quarters,& get $500 in notes back.

Aidan.

The ones around here charge a fee unless you get a giftcard....which I don't use any they offer, so I would lose nearly 10cents on the dollar in fees.

One thousand dollars ($1,000.00) in Kennedy halves, rolled and in two vault boxes to a teller at the bank. She had no idea what to do with them and called the head teller over. When they determined that my account had more than that in it at the time, they froze that much till it was counted and confirmed that was the amount of the deposit. That was the last time I bought boxes of halves for searching. Now I just go and ask for loose rolls.

Most banks around here also charge a fee for accepting change. They wave the fee if you have an account and just deposit the coins in your account. I've opened 10 accounts in 10 different banks due to that. Then some banks still charge a fee if you come in with over $100 in change. Some food stores in the area have coin machines that will give you bills for change but charge 7%. I usually just to make sure always take in what appears to be about $50 to $70. One friend of mine USED to save those Bicentennial Quarters. He thought that someday they would be worth a fortune. Just a few months ago he found out no one wanted the things so he took them to a bank. He deposited well over a thousand dollars worth. And the worst part was they charge him a fee for that service even though he had an account there. Never told me how much he charged though. Too embarrased.

Anyone ever hear about that guy that saved pennies(cents) for over 70 years I think it was. Not sure how long ago that was now. He called some bank and wanted to deposit it all. The photo in the paper showed armored car companies with wheel barrels full of the stupid coins. I don't remember the end result of the total but it was way up there in the thousands. Rumors later had it that some of the really large dealers in the area ran to that bank and bought up the entire mess.

Archived