CoinPeople.com

Best Coin Grading companies

Five4Fighting

personally, I collect mainly world gold issues. With that being said, I trust NGC because I like their turnaround, customer service and pricing better. Besides, in this genre, there doesn't seem to be a big preference on the marketplace for NGC vs. PCGS. In fact, NGC actually grades many world issues that PCGS won't, like medals that are so popular now. I also enjoy NGC's Sigature Sets, and certainly think that is a positive step in the collecting world. Now if i collected other types of coins, i may reconsider because PCGS brings more money on the open marketplace, depending on coin type.

Doug

My list:

Canadian: ICCS, PCGS, NGC

US: PCGS, NGC

World: ICCS, PCGS, NGC, ANACS (older types only)

Though very few world coins are found in ICCS holders, most are rather conservatively (if not under) graded.

So basically for American coins the best grading companies are PCGS and NGC eh? While I understand the buy the coin not the holder statement, I do like profesionally graded coins, I do have some coins that were graded by other companies, and was thinking of getting them resubmited as I think there overgraded. (I tend to be very tough on my grading) The worst being SGS which a certian Ebay seller has ten million coins from and they all seem to be graded MS70 or PR70.

If the coins aren't from the companies we've listed there's a very, very good chance they are overgraded. By how much I can't say. Some companies, like UGS, have actually been pretty close to what PCGS and NGC say. Sometimes even upgrading! Could of just been lucky though, only time will tell.

Just wondering what is considered the best grading company around? ANACS? PCGS? NGC? ICQ? I won't mention the other's as there is a bunch of them out there that I won't deal with (Am I wrong here in not dealing with others like SGS(Who I think has a lot of over graded coins)?)

Since people have mentioned ICCS in Canada, it is far tougher technically than PCGS or NCG, BUT...it grades strictly technically without points (+ or -) for eye appeal.

PCGS/NCG coins usually drop 1-2 grades going to ICCS, but I know people who regularly get ICCS coins upgraded at PCGS (and I am sure NGC).

ICCS "slabs" are cheap and flimsy, but grading is as little as $6 (CAN) in quantity.

That's one drawback in a lot of people's eyes about ICCS, the whole flip vs plastic thing. On one hand the flip cuts down on grading costs but it's also easier to fake.

*shrugs* I actually like their grading!

Archived