CoinPeople.com

Small Russian coin section

Sir Sisu

No flashy coins up for auction this time. Fortunately there are a number of roubles, so if I am lucky I will win a student-budget priced sample :ninja: to add to my type collection.

auction link

Are you looking at anything here Tane? Hopefully we will not step on each other's toes for the lower priced stuff. ;)

Are you looking at anything here Tane? Hopefully we will not step on each other's toes for the lower priced stuff. ;)

Sadly no. Nothing really fits my budget at the moment :ninja:

Perhaps next time.

Wow, look at the lots. Either the auctioneer is being lazy or they must be bad in condition....

Perhaps I should describe the auction and the FNS a bit more. The auctions that the Society holds are not "for profit" gatherings. It is a service and benefit for members to sell/buy between members. It serves as an option for members that have interesting items that might not be the high-end flashy stuff that commercial auction houses attract. There is a small number of people that organize the auction, give a general grade / detail problems, etc etc. So most (if not all) of the work is done on the side as these people have day jobs.

And as this particular auction has 885 lots, it takes all day to run through the lots the day of the auction to say nothing of the pre-auction weeks of going through all the coins and assigning general grades and details. If all the lots were broken up into single coins.....Anyhow, many of them are probably worn or relatively low value examples. Sometimes a few key coins are kept with the lots to make them more interesting for bidders.

So no the auctioneers are not lazy -they are numismatists and collectors-, they are just practical. And not all the lots are in bad shape. Some members just want to get rid of all there low-end items, and lots are the best way to go. The auction lasts all day as is. No one wants to sit through hours of auction for a single 2 euro item. :ninja:

Who can participate in the auction? I have been looking at their website for years, but cannot figure out how to participate.

Unfortunately that is not easily remedied. As mentioned above it is an auction forum for members of the FNS or the FNF (Federation).

No flashy coins up for auction this time. Fortunately there are a number of roubles, so if I am lucky I will win a student-budget priced sample to add to my type collection.

auction link

Are you looking at anything here Tane? Hopefully we will not step on each other's toes for the lower priced stuff.

Perhaps no "flashy" pieces but the 1794 rouble is an odd piece. The mintmaster initials on the reverse are A. K. instead of the usual A K (i.e. no dots after the letters). This date is rare; of the approximate 2250 different roubles of Catherine II for which I have photographs, a mere 12 are 1794 AK and none of these has the strange dots.

For those interested in rarity, the 1794 AK is rare but the 1795 AK is much rarer and almost impossible to find.

RWJ

Perhaps no "flashy" pieces but the 1794 rouble is an odd piece. The mintmaster initials on the reverse are A. K. instead of the usual A K (i.e. no dots after the letters). This date is rare; of the approximate 2250 different roubles of Catherine II for which I have photographs, a mere 12 are 1794 AK and none of these has the strange dots.

For those interested in rarity, the 1794 AK is rare but the 1795 AK is much rarer and almost impossible to find.

RWJ

Well, if that coin is something special, someone walked away with it for only €60. Not knowing Russian coins that intimately, I was surprised to see a 2 kopeck of Catherine II (1793 AM) close at €1200.

I did get a few coins. They were early 20th cent. larger silver for my type collection, which is closer to where my interests lie.

1913 Romanov commem rouble

1921 RSFSR rouble

1924 USSR rouble

btw: Krause mentions that varieties exist. As I have no specialized Russian/Soviet catalogues, does anyone know what varieties I should be looking for?

Yes, variety exists for the Romanov commemorative ruble, which are the high and low relief version.

Here is an image from Bob Reis's site:

rus-y70vars.jpg

The one on the left is the low relief and the one on the right is the higher relief.

What should be quite distinct is the relief on Romanov's cross. As well as, the line protruding from Romanov's portrait is shorter in the lower relief version. Originally the lower relief version was minted but it was complained that the relief was not high enough and hence a new varient was created. The mintage was like 1.472 million, but only the first 50,000 are low relief. So imagine how difficult it is to find the low relief version. I'm happy to get my high relief version for just bullion value, when silver was just around 5USD or so.

Yes, variety exists for the Romanov commemorative ruble, which are the high and low relief version.

rus-y70vars.jpg

The one on the left is the low relief and the one on the right is the higher relief.

What should be quite distinct is the relief on Romanov's cross. As well as, the line protruding from Romanov's portrait is shorter in the lower relief version. Originally the lower relief version was minted but it was complained that the relief was not high enough and hence a new varient was created. The mintage was like 1.472 million, but only the first 50,000 are low relief. So imagine how difficult it is to find the low relief version. I'm happy to get my high relief version for just bullion value, when silver was just around 5USD or so.

I think that the low relief is just about as common as the high relief. Over the years I have had in excess of 10 1913 coins. The reliefs split about 50/50. I do not belief that 50,000 mintage would allow for these coins to appear fairly commonly on eBay. And, we would definitely see a vast difference in appearance and pricing between the two.

Not too sure which mine would be. Does Uzdenikov or Bitkin list these as seperate? This coin was listed as 4201 and 335 respectively.

Archived