CoinPeople.com

question about a chinese banknote

bifrost

I have recently come back from a trip to China. In a ATM machine in the city of Jinan, Shangdong province I got a 100 yuan 1999 banknote with an interesting serial. It is ZZ 00079890. I am wondering if this is a replacement banknote?

Hope for any response.

// Joakim

Thanks for the input! :ninja:

This is my first replacement banknote I have got as change. Strange that it would be coming from China and not Sweden where I live (in Sweden replacement banknotes have a star in the serial numbers)!

Thanks for the input! :ninja:

This is my first replacement banknote I have got as change. Strange that it would be coming from China and not Sweden where I live (in Sweden replacement banknotes have a star in the serial numbers)!

Congratulation on your first replacement note. My ATM experience was when I got the whole lot of 20 pieces of Singapore $50 Bird Series. Naturally, I was very happy. I sold all of them away for a marginal profit. That was many years ago. ;)

Traditionally, banknotes printed under the Thomas De La Rue printer uses Z as a replacement. Earlier notes from Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong and many Commonwealth countries uses Z as a replacement. It can be in various format of prefixes ZZ Z/1, 1ZZ etc. Some even use a combination of both ZZ and asterick.

Archived