CoinPeople.com

4 Dukaten 1900 Alexander II - Genuine or fake?

kisenish

Dear community,

I was offered a very interesting coin - Imitation of 4 Ducates of Franz-Josef (Austria) (you can find this series at the end of Bitkin II). These are 4 Ducates 1900 with a portrait of Alexander II, very rare (R2) according to Bitkin. The weight is 12,7 g.

As I don't have experience in such coins, would like to ask you: What do you think - is the coin genuine or fake? What the price for such coin could be? :ninja:

Thanks ;)

4dukaten1900avaj2.th.jpg

4dukaten1900reke6.th.jpg

Kisenish, something is telling me the luster is not too right but I guess that's a matter of photography. I believe the expert should be Alexander Basok as he personally did an investigation on this.

Here is a pricelist of what he is currently offering:

http://www.rustypennies.com/catalog/bo3.html

And his reference book about it: http://www.rustypennies.com/catalog/numism...references.html

Dear community,

I was offered a very interesting coin - Imitation of 4 Ducates of Franz-Josef (Austria) (you can find this series at the end of Bitkin II). These are 4 Ducates 1900 with a portrait of Alexander II, very rare (R2) according to Bitkin. The weight is 12,7 g.

As I don't have experience in such coins, would like to ask you: What do you think - is the coin genuine or fake? What the price for such coin could be? :ninja:

Thanks

Alexander Basok wrote the standard reference on this series (Alexander II of Russia’s Four Ducat Coins), published in 2002. The reverse of this piece appears to match that on Basok’s 1900 four ducat pieces (Nos. 6–7) with the head of Alexander II but the obverse is different. (He lists only two varieties of the 1900 issue.)

RWJ

Alexander Basok wrote the standard reference on this series (Alexander II of Russia’s Four Ducat Coins), published in 2002. The reverse of this piece appears to match that on Basok’s 1900 four ducat pieces (Nos. 6–7) with the head of Alexander II but the obverse is different. (He lists only two varieties of the 1900 issue.)

RWJ

Unfortunately I don't have this book :ninja: As I knew about it, I've asked the author today about this coin, looking forward to an answer... How does this coin appear? - I had a feeling that the struck is a bit flat or is it just a matter of photography?

While we are waiting for a reply from Mr. Basok, who is actually celebrating his birthday today and might not have time to answer your question immidiately, I will express a few thoughts.

1. The coins were privately struck.

2. They were used as jewelry and such (that's what the holes are for).

3. They came in different metals, not only gold.

4. I like examples without holes better.

5. The price is usually around $1000.

Several of Alexander Basoks 4 Ducats are here:

Gold 4 Ducats in the Name of Alexander II

BTW Mr. Basok is very interesting dealer to meet, my daughter bought a Moldavia Wallachia coin from him for $10 that is worth far more. She pulled it out of the $10 box and could not explain why she wanted it but just knew she wanted it. It was worth far more than any other coin in the box which was mostly 18th century 5 Kopeks coins. I think he salted the box and was very glad a YN figured it out and wanted it, I did not help her I was too busy perusing the Siberian Polushka I bought.

Unfortunately I don't have this book As I knew about it, I've asked the author today about this coin, looking forward to an answer... How does this coin appear? - I had a feeling that the struck is a bit flat or is it just a matter of photography?

These are large thin coins and the relief is low. The ones I have seen look "flat" but perhaps the lighting for the photograph plays a part.

RWJ

Archived