CoinPeople.com

2 new copper coins

grivna1726

Here are 2 recent additions to my collection. ;)

They caught my eye because they seemed like decent examples of their type (if not particularly scarce) and while much more dear than they once were, (unlike so many other Russian coins) they are not yet priced to the moon. :ninja:

I hope you will enjoy them also. ;)

First up is an 1812 2 kopeks of Alexander I, the year Napoleon invaded Russia, so it seems like a significant year:

2k1812smallln2.jpg

Second is a 1760 5 kopeks of Elizabeth Petrovna which I found appealing:

5k1760smallju2.jpg

Very nice, grivna1726! :ninja:

It is indeed hard to find пятака of Elizabeth in such good condition, whereas those of Catherine the Great are much easier.

very nice coppers :ninja:

Thank you.

The 1760 is the nicest Elizabeth copper 5k I have seen in several years. It "spoke" to me when I saw it (saying "Buy me! Buy me!") and I was powerless to resist. ;)

Bobh is correct when he says the piatak type of Catherine the Great is much easier to find in nice shape (and with a decent, even strike) than that of Elizabeth is. I'm not sure why. Maybe the skill level of the mint workers or the mint technology improved during Catherine's rule?

I know nothing about the coins in this series, but I am always impressed when I see examples such as yours in dealer cases. They are impressive copper coins and beautiful in high grades. Fortunately, I've been able to avoid the tempatation and not compete with your interests. It doesn't stop me from admiring them from afar. Great additions to your collection.

They caught my eye because they seemed like decent examples of their type (if not particularly scarce) and while much more dear than they once were, (unlike so many other Russian coins) they are not yet priced to the moon. :ninja:

I hope you will enjoy them also. ;)

First up is an 1812 2 kopeks of Alexander I, the year Napoleon invaded Russia, so it seems like a significant year:

2k1812smallln2.jpg

Second is a 1760 5 kopeks of Elizabeth Petrovna which I found appealing:

5k1760smallju2.jpg

Nice and scarce coin in high grade. Only green spot between 4 and 5 o’clock. I’m always worried then I put coins for my collection with green spot. .Is any body has idea how removed by non chemical green spot from the coin.

Rarenum, the green spot is the awful verdigris. Perhaps you might want to remove as much as possible using a toothpick GENTLY.

I have done an experiment using virgin olive oil which many recommand but personally it didn't go well for me :ninja: I ruined a reddish 1793/96 5/10k to greenish, as it seems that the verdigris has spread across the whole coin and coated the coin with it ;)

Rarenum, the green spot is the awful verdigris. Perhaps you might want to remove as much as possible using a toothpick GENTLY.

I have done an experiment using virgin olive oil which many recommand but personally it didn't go well for me :ninja: I ruined a reddish 1793/96 5/10k to greenish, as it seems that the verdigris has spread across the whole coin and coated the coin with it ;)

I agree, not the best way if coin turns greenish. Some body told me about virgin olive oil, but I never try before. Also NGC provide conservation, interesting if some body has positive experience.

NGC conservation only conserves coins that they think they can do without doing much "damage". For coins that they think they can't do it, they will probably not do so.

Unfortunately with the situation with copper parasite, I honestly doubt NGC conservation can do it. I have only see the company dealing with fingerprints, toning, etc but not with nasty copper parasite :ninja:

Copper parasite on such old coins is just a darn pity ;)

Archived