CoinPeople.com

Coin Appraisals

NewCoin

I am sure that many of you share my experience regarding people contacting you to "grade their coin/coins". For those of you who charge for this, what/how do you charge? Percent of total collection? Per coin? Hourly?

Doing one right now. Its for my bosses mother. I am doing it for 5% commission on anything I sell. Plus eBay fees, shipping fees, etc. That is pretty cheap but then sometimes there is more reasons to do something than just money alone. I figure I am sucking up but so what, when it comes time for raises and or, god forbid, layoffs, who do you think will get a raise or still have a job? Thats right, me. :ninja:

It also depends on what it's for.

Hourly would be normal if a written appraisal is needed for a large collection for legal purposes (ie. insurance)

Percentage would be more common for an informal appraisal with intent to sell.

Fixed-fees are usually only used in cases where the collection is small.

Free is also available usually on a casual basis (ie. asking a dealer what they'd pay)

Agreed. Anything over $100/hr would have to be pretty specialized. A US or Canadian only collection should be $50-75 or so as it should be pretty straight forward. $75-125 would be fair if there's a considerable amount of world coinage, or exonumia that needs research.

Hmmm. Thanks for the replies. The collection is really a smattering of everything from ancient Greek and Roman, Byzantine, medieval and modern world coins, and American. In spite of this range, the appraiser has indicated that there is nothing really exceptional in the collection, and he put the total value close to $200,000. I am new enough to the whole business not to know if this is large or small.

I really appreciate all of your input.

Archived