23 members have voted

1. 1. What grade?

• EF45
    • EF40
    • VF35
    • VF20
    • F12
    • VG10

I gave it a VF20 overall. Details are VF35ish but due to the verdigris (I'm assuming that's what I'm seeing) I'd knock it down a notch.

Great coin though. I love the Large Cents.

• 1 month later...

I'd say VF -- I'm tempted to go EF but I think that it had an old cleaning that was done incompletely/improperly. The color is wonderful and could be mostly natural. In hand, I'd probably be more apt to go EF, but I like to bounce the light off them at different angles to check the fields for scratches and such.

WoW, lots of variability on this one. Two people think it has verdigris and one person thinks it has been cleaned. EF40 got the most votes, but someone sees it as a VG10 - a particularly wide variety of opinions within 12 votes.

In hand, syzygy, what do you think it is?

In hand, syzygy, what do you think it is?

I think it is a borderline VF35/EF40. It was sold as an EF and the reason I posted it was that it looked borderline to me.

Definitely no verdigris and probably not cleaned. On the last point, I have seen lots of old US copper where they are clumpy or crusty around the devices (like this one) and don't take that as a sign of an old cleaning - but I could be wrong :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd go VF30 on that coin. Tough one to grade from a pic. The color looks original yet I see some residue in the protected areas which could be from a cleaning. Overall a nice hunk of copper!

Archived