CoinPeople.com

Coin Purchase Advice

Art

I have several, read that too many, collections working at this time. I'm also going to add the Dansco albums for Statehood Quarters to the mix, including the proofs and silver. SO here's a question/thought.

If I purchase the proof sets and silver proof sets for the SQ years, I get the quarters - obvious, but I also get the Lincolns and Jeffersons - some of which I need. So what do you all think? Is this the most economical way to get high quality coins for my collections?

PS - I also end up with the SACs, JFKs, Roos from the sets and some extra proofs for Linc and Jeff. I guess I could always get the Danscos for these guys with proofs and start them up as well. Thoughts?

Art, I'm getting one silver proof set per year JUST for the quarters which will be in my US Type Set. I will take one of each of the other denominations from a set and include them as well, but I really haven't figured out what to do with the "leftovers" yet. I might just put all of them in flips or Airtites and give 'em away to YN's at the local coin club or at a coin show. Kids like that kind of stuff, and it might just help make a new collector or two.

As for your question, I highly recommend that you collect whatever makes you happy, and in the manner that you enjoy. If you want to do sets of the rest of the coins, do it :ninja:

As for the "economy" of buying this way, IMHO it is among the least expensive ways. I've seen tons of the individual coins in slabs at prices that are much higher on a "per coin" basis.

I think coins still in the proof sets would be cheaper than buying each coin by itself. The extra coins you can either:

1. Sell them to help pay for future sets

2. Give them away

3. Start new sets

Personally since I already have the coins I'd just keep going with the Dansco albums. But that's just me. If you don't have any interest in the extra coins then just sell them to buy other coins.

Just my view. Probably didn't help much :ninja:

What can I say. Burks and AuldFartte took the words out of my mouth.

The way the market is, you are DEFINITELY getting a better deal by buying the sets as they are. And please give those other coins a happy home either in your collection or some YN's hands.

To add a different angle to the "economics" of that method:

For me I would see it as a time saver. (Time is money! :ninja: ) Today's proofs are such high quality that you do not have to spend time looking for good samples. (You can basically buy a proof set blind.) That way you can dedicate more time for those series that you collect which require more time and effort in finding the grade/price for your budget.

I would go with buying the sets for the reasons stated above...less expensive and less time consuming. I used to do that with the mint sets for my collection. Buy a mint set and, bam, my collection was brought up to date for the year. I took for granted how nice that was until the mint decided to stop putting regular business strikes in the mint sets and switched to that satin crap. Now I have to go out and buy each individual coin. It is a PITA, more expensive, and my collection never gets up to date right away.

I figured that the sets would be a better way to go than trying to get the singles. I'll just have to break them up when they arrive and go from there.

Wonder how I missed this thread yesterday. Anyway, something that alot of us do (and I'm probably most guilty with this) is not thinking about other collectors :lol:

There is a group of collectors that collect original government packaged mint sets. There are other collectors that collect rolls of proof and uncirculated coins, which more oft comes from these government packaged mint sets. And there are those that collect dead/entombed coins. In order to obtain the highest quality samples to get the most profitable casket out there, many original government mint sets are broken apart and coins sent en masse to the butchers for slaughter, autopsy, embalming, and eventual entombing.

There are already so many people buying up and breaking apart original government mint sets, that one more person won't make that much of a difference in the current populations, right? :ninja: Just something to think about.

Anyway, do what you want! (Lord knows, I do!) But, I would have to actually disagree to a point with everyone about the economics of it. If you consider time = money, then, yes, buying the set may be more econnomical, but not necessarily.

Let's take the 2003 sets, for instance. The silver set is going to cost you about $35 (plus shipping) from a dealer, quick and easy. If you spend more time (thus more "money"), you could win a set off eBay for around $30, shipped. And if you look on eBay for the SQs only, you could grab them for around $20 plus shipping. The singles are selling for around $3-$4 each, plus shipping, making it about $15-$20 plus shipping per year set.

Now, other than actually buying the set from a dealer, the other options all require an amount of time ("money"), as well as the time ("money") of breaking them apart. Also, the time ("money") and money it requires to offload the "extras" you end up with also need to be considered. Personally, I believe that bidding out for proof singles would be your most economical choice in both time and money, because you will be forwarding out about only 60% upfront for the coins compared to using a dealer, and you have no further extra time or money in breaking the sets and offloading your extras. So, you could virtually fill twice as many holes with the same amount of funds.

Part of the fun in this hobby, for me, is the thrill of the hunt. If all it took was money and it would be yours, there's no fun in that. Even when it takes months on end to find that certain coin or set, it makes it all that much more appreciable when I finally do get it!

But, just do what makes you happy! :cry: Just some food for thought.

SMS -- good points. Glad to see you active again.

I started by ordering the sets that the mint has available. I couldn't do any better on ebay right now. By blocking the order I ended up with on 4.95 for shipping/handling. A pretty good deal. Now I just have to hope that they all arrive as MS70/PF70 coins. :ninja:

SMS -- good points. Glad to see you active again.

Probably won't last long :lol:

I've just been way to busy lately. But not so busy to start a new collection! :ninja:

When I get time, I'll start posting pics and stuff. But my time has been going alot into the homeschooling curriculum and trying to get a handle on my office...it's cluttered WAY too much and refuses to fix itself :cry: Things should simply know where they belong and go there!

Good luck on your new collection!

Like they said previously, it's the best way to go. What sets do you need Art, I have extras of a few years?

I'll have to put a plan together and then decide what direction to take. Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know as soon as I get my direction settled. Buying a few IHCs that I need right now.

Archived