CoinPeople.com

Coinworld: Online Vs. Print

thedeadpoint

I'm looking to renew my Coin World subscription. I love having a good print material to read before bed but at the same time I don't want to contribute to the deaths of more trees.

Considering that the subs. price for online and print editions of the publication are the same, which edition do you prefer and why?

I'm a print person. I get a number of online newsletters and enjoy them but nothing beats a comfortable chair and a hard text object for those quiet late night reading sessions.

I prefer text based, to me, a coin magazine is great on a quiet night, sitting in the easy chair and just going over some articles.

Although I would much rather go over real coins, than an article on coins in that kind of setting lol. :ninja:

I do not subscribe to either virgin, but if I did, I would go for the online for the simple reason that then I do not have to shred or burn it afterwards to keep the trash peepers out of finding out about my coin interests.

Just stick it in some neighbor's mailbox. Preferably someone you don't really care for. :ninja:

If I was inclined to subscribe to Coin World (which I am not) I would probably prefer the print version for the same reason Art suggests.

Online, definitely. The reason is that you want to have access to all of those archives. No matter what item or person you want to know about, you can search for it electronically. You cannot do that with print. With print, you would have to have huge stacks of them -- which many collectors do -- but also have a running index of everything... every key word... With the online version, you get that.

I worked at CW. There were few moments as cherished as being in the library, reading those old magazines from the 90s... 80s.... 70s... 60s... Truly inspirational to enjoy the hobby that way... but, when it came to actual WORK -- looking up coins, people, whatever... the electronic archives were the starting point.

I love a good read, too, but if I had to choose, that's what I would do.

(And to be upfront, I subscribe to only Numismatist today.)

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

I'll probably go with online. My environmental side helped convince me. Also, I tend to allow the old newspapers to collect up on my floor "waiting to be read."

Also, with most of my schoolwork on the computer, I'll have something else to distract me on the screen. :ninja:

Mmarotta, thank you very much for reminding me how valuable the electronic archives will be.

Also also... when i visit home on breaks, I can paruse CW :lol:

Thank again, guys

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression that the online archives only went back for the last twelve issues. Yep, just checked, you can only go back 12 issues. I would love to have access to those electonic archives. There is a lot of stuff I need to search for back between 1990 and 2003. I checked into getting microfilm copies but I can't afford the $368 per year cost.

Conder101,

Two related questions:

1) Do you have the online version?

2) If so, you say the online archives only go back 3 months?

Thanks,

GS

Archived