CoinPeople.com

1803 $10 Gold Struck In Copper....Maybe???

LostDutchman

Very interesting piece you have there. The eagle's head just doesn't look right. As you said, more turkey like than eagle. Wonder how many people it fooled.

What are the letters next to the date? Looks like K.E. or W.E. to me.

I've seen a few of these at my dealers shop, too bad I never was able to get one before it was sold. :ninja: Anyway, he calls them kettle coins (most are made of kettle brass/bronze), and said they were used as gambling chips, and on occasion, such seems to be the case with this one, gold plated to pass as the real thing. I'm going to assume the WE initials are that of the die engraver for that particular token, but I can't say for sure.

If you're interested in selling that btw, I wouldn't mind getting my little paws on one finally lol. :lol: It's a nice coin/token though and most were made around the period of the actual circulated coin. Hope that helps a little.

I don't know, maybe it's the angle of the photo, but to me it looks like Liberty has a goiter. I would vote contemporary token, as it would seem odd for a counterfeiter to put his initials on his work in such an obvious way (unlike the Omega). What lettering is on the edge?

I've seen a few of these at my dealers shop, too bad I never was able to get one before it was sold.  :ninja:  Anyway, he calls them kettle coins (most are made of kettle brass/bronze), and said they were used as gambling chips, and on occasion, such seems to be the case with this one, gold plated to pass as the real thing. I'm going to assume the WE initials are that of the die engraver for that particular token, but I can't say for sure.

I have heard of Kettle Tokens before, this was a firm in Birmingham England which made many contemporary tokens, and counters for games etc. They are believed to be the source of these early American gold coin counters. Have a look here:

Kettle Tokens Reference

• 3 weeks later...
Clearly a Kettle token. If you look on the obv near the rim between the 3 and the last star you can see the word KETTLE. The KE and final E are clear the rest a little hard to see. These was game or counter tokens, contemporary, but not contemporary counterfeits.

I own a brass one of these now, not quite as nice shape, but same idea basically.

3zizr5i.jpg

2r3h5sl.jpg

The Kettle company produced a number of tokens and medals during this era. I've seen these before; they're almost always in VG or lower condition. While they technically were produced as gambling tokens I've seen some that had been gold plated. I suppose if you were trying to pass them in Britain they wouldn't know what an American gold coin was supposed to look like...

Archived