CoinPeople.com

Heritage Online Auction

thedeadpoint

Hi everyone,

I'm a newer member, so I haven't seen any forums on this subject. Anywho, I know you guys will be kind enough to answer.

Heritage Online Auctions offer many of the key notes and coins I'm trying to track down. I've never been part of an auction and never used eBay. I'm curious to know who I'm bidding against and who wins the lots. Are these dealers who monitor these lots dozens at a time or mostly individual collectors?

If you can give me some advice and clarify those points, I'd be very greatful.

thedeadpoint.

It can be anyone and everyone bidding. It could be a neighbor down the street or a dealer in the next town.

As for who wins, I have never won anything from them, but i don't have the money that alot of major collectors have.

As Rodney said, find something that no one else is bidding on and you might win it. If you have lots and lots of money just sitting around, bid on anything you want.

I've won a lot of Heritage auctions, though not as many lately since it seems my budget hasn't expanded as fast as the market! Like others have said, you could be bidding against other collectors or major nationwide dealers. I find that dealers would bid more often on better date items looking to fill want lists for well-heeled clients. But like anything in this hobby it all depends on the series and specific items involved. My advice is to put in a bid for as much as you are willing to pay, including shipping and 15% buyers premium and sit back and see what happens. If you win great, if not at least you didn't pay more than you wanted.

I've bid on a handful of items, but never won. I guess I habitually bid too low. Key date stuff is going for extremely high prices nowdays, and there are lots of collectors with lots of money looking for them.

i've bid on a few things (based on the strategy described earlier here) and won. i can't help but feel a bit cheesed off that the bid price (plus shipping) isn't all you end up paying (yes, i do add it all up and take it into consideration, but it seems gratuitously complex).

Archived