• AU58
    • MS60
    • MS61
    • MS62
    • MS63
    • MS64
    • MS65
    • MS66

I'm having a hard time to understand US-grading and although I've got me a copy of the "PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection" Us-grading is still a mystery for me. :ninja:

Sentences like: "MS64 = There may be numerous marks/hairlines, including several major marks/hairlines in main focal areas" and so forth were not very helpful for me. :cry:

How many marks? How large are they allowed to be?

Perhaps you can help me understand it better. ;)

Below you see a coin that was submitted to a major TPG once, guess what the result was. It would be very nice if you could give me a statement about your vote. :lol:

The coin is a Bavarian 2 Mark 1896, rotated reverse die. Please consider the reverse rim at the "H" of Reich.

The coin has luster although I couldn't capture it in the pic because I wanted to show the colors.

J45-1896-small.jpg

• 2 months later...

It's somewhat hard to apply US standards to non-US coins, but I would have to say this coin is uncirculated, seemingly a (if the rim is taken into account maybe a ms-63) otherwise 64/65 range (I can see some minor contact marks on the obverse), but I am not very keen on german coins, but....it seems to have full details on most of the high marks, and from what I can tell, no evidence of wear. I am curious what the TPG company graded this coin though. It's very nice. :ninja:

I'd have gone with XF40 had it been a choice. Scraps on rim plus what appears to me circulation marks on the face. ALso not sure of the details in the hair - appears worn. Overall a very nice coin.

• 3 weeks later...

I would call it AU-58 due to slight rub on the high points. A top-tier grading service would likely bodybag the coin due to the reverse rim damage. Still a wonderful looking coin.

Was this coin in an album or a piece of jewelry? It almost looks like two different coins. The obverse is worn fairly well (exposed to contact?) while the reverse is of superior condition (protected?) Could the rim damage be from the jewelry mounting? Very enigmatic piece there.

Archived