CoinPeople.com

Late dropping in here

Primarily american pre 1900 coins. Have a fair start on type coin set for them. Main collection is primarily Morgans and large cents. Trying to put together a few more proof sets for birthyear stuff also. (Kids and grandkid dates)

Like I have said in other posts been off coins for years now, just really getting back in to them.

Have been taking notice of the error or vams now.

Been watching ebay. (Talk about a shark tank. :ninja: ) I know its old news here but I can't believe what people are paying for coins there. I have been knocked out of bidding several times.

Speaking of which stopped by a pawn/coin shop just to see what they had. And one of the proofs I was looking for turned up. Asked the price and it was over double 2006 redbook price. Asked why and was told they also had a ebay store and could get that price and more on it.

I'm going to try to put some more of my coins up on omnicoin this weekend. Found a nice friendly local dealer. And picked up a hundred each type of new holders. I'm going to start splitting them out and recording them.

http://www.omnicoin.com/user_view.aspx?id=Mark_Stilson

Welcome aboard, somehow I think we will have you collecting Portuguese Euros and Bohemian paper money in the next 6 mths or so.  Don't worry, it happens to all of us here :cry:

Oh, and then you will want to collect early 20th Century Italian coins with nekkid ladies :ninja:

:lol: Barenekkid Dave! ;)

Hi, ya, Mark! Welcome!

One little word of advice.  You might want to crop the pics so only the coin shows.

Yep, I'm trying to work on that. Been trying to get the "right" shots with the camera. It will probably be thru software. Thought I was close earlier on some replacements for those and some new ones, But.....

Welcome aboard, somehow I think we will have you collecting Portuguese Euros and Bohemian paper money in the next 6 mths or so.  Don't worry, it happens to all of us here :lol:

Oh, and then you will want to collect early 20th Century Italian coins with nekkid ladies :ninja:

Won't take much to do that.

How about a 1795 Sardinia 20 Soldi. (Already in the collection. In addition to the rouble.)

No nekkid ladie on it though. :cry:

One thing for sure out of this excercise. I will finally have a good list on coins I need. I'm 10 off a one for each year in Morgans. And have way too many of the big mintage ones. I've got at least something of a start on mints.

Last of the scans for a little while anyways. Got most of the large cents I have in. A few foreign and morgans. When these were originaly bought, I had no direction just bought. Part of the reason for the "list". I'm going to try to finish out the each year morgans next. (Now 9 to go) Then start working on the 1876 and 1826 coppers and silver.

Primarily american pre 1900 coins.  ...  Main collection is primarily Morgans and large cents.  ... proof sets for birthyear ...

We should really start some kind of database of collectors who come here saying stuff like that and then... little by little ... one coin at a time... then another... and then the next one is not a coin at all...

It is a tribute to George Morgan that his dollar design has survived the test of time. "... but how'ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen Paree?" There is so much more to numismatics that in no time at all those machine struck replicated reproductioned clones look like a grocery shelf of soup cans ... and then someone points out that the Morgan Dollars never really circulated; no one wanted them; that's why fully one-third grade Unc; they were foisted on the Mint by political insiders and served no useful purpose in trade...

And next thing you know ... there is a new collector of something undreamed of only a few months ago...

The other side of the coin comes from learning that those Large Cents and Half Cents were the pursuit of gentlemen in the 1830s and 1850s who bought them by the bag and searched for varieties and errors. If I have my history correct, numismatic dealer Eliot Woodworth started out as a pharmacist with a bean shop and he got intrigued by those young swains wanting his old Cents and Half Cents. By the time Woodworth passed away, he had a collection of Large Cents worth wrestling on the floor over.

One foot away from Large Cents is the chasm of Conder Tokens... Watch your step!

... Don't ever start searching through rolls or bank bags or your focus will be shot forever:-) 

No kidding! My wife is not a collector... But she figured that she could search rolls of half dollars for silver and silver-clad... then she asked me why some mintmarks seemed smaller or bigger than others... Now she has a magnifier, four Whitman folders and a Redbook... She even found an S, impaired, to be sure, but a Proof nonetheless.

You take a non-collector, give them a few rolls... and whadyaknow? :ninja:

Archived