CoinPeople.com

HMS Victory found

frank

Check out the news!

NYTimes article 2-2-09

Check out especially the accompanying picture: it shows one of the enormous bronze cannons that helped searchers identify the wreck as the Victory. What they don't comment on in the caption is the pile of coins in the sand next to it...

Check out the news!

NYTimes article 2-2-09

Check out especially the accompanying picture: it shows one of the enormous bronze cannons that helped searchers identify the wreck as the Victory. What they don't comment on in the caption is the pile of coins in the sand next to it...

Very cool. Who gets to keep the loot?

I should have noted that of course it wasn't Nelson's HMS Victory (from the Napoleonic wars) that was found; that ship --much renovated-- survives to the present day and is in dry dock as a museum in England. It was an earlier ship, equally first-rate, that sunk in 1744. Some people objected giving the name of the earlier shipwrecked Victory to the newer ship, saying it was bad luck. Well, I guess it was bad luck personally for Nelson, who was killed on the Víctory's quarterdeck by a sharpshooter at Trafalgar, but he does live on in fame I guess...

• 3 weeks later...
It'll likely be split up in some percentage between the Crown and the salvage company.

Mike

International right clearly statues that ownership of a military ship, recovered from the abyss, belongs to its ancient "propertor", in this case UK's government. There have been other quarrels, before, between that salvage company and Spanish government, for a similar case, since the company looked like it was going to refuse to recognize spanish property. Other disputes coming?

An interesting article and discovery! As a side note, I wonder if the lighthouse keeper of Alderney, who was charged with failing to keep its lights on at the time of the ship’s disappearance, will get his name posthumously cleared after all these centuries since the ship didn't go down where they thought it did at the time. Imagine how a false claim like that would have ruined the guy's life.

• 2 weeks later...

You had me at "four tons of gold coins"... :ninja:

From the article.....

"At the news conference, Jason Williams, a television producer for the Discovery Channel, said four tons of gold coins would fetch about $125 million if melted down or $1 billion if sold for their historical value."

No one in their right mind would melt uncirculated British gold coins minted in the mid 1740's, would they? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

The link from the article went to a report on the shipwreck finds and it appears that the majority of the coins are probably Portuguese, not British.

Pity because a few thousand extra guineas on the market would do wonders to drop the prices! (Well at least a little).

Archived