CoinPeople.com

What kind of error is this (if any)?

I've found several pennies, all from the mid-late 1980's, with various stages of deformity similar to what's posted here. A raised area of metal, in a circular shape, cutting through the motto and 'L' in 'Liberty'. The reverses look ok, and the pennies look to be properly round.

Both pictures show the same penny, with two different exposures to highlight the raised metal.

I've tried matching this style with different error guides (including the one here), and came up empty. Is this even a mint error(s)? It almost looks like the first strike was off-center, and the second one didn't completely mash the original edge.

penny_1988P.jpgpenny_1988P_2.jpg

That's a darn good question, I have a handfull of those myself and find them on quite a regular basis. As for what kind of error? I always thought it was a strike through or something of the sort, not sure though.

I'm not sure that would cause an error like that. I've seen what you're talking about on the new nickels though, its more of a grind mark than actual metal being raised off the design. We needs us an error expert lol.

A raised area of metal, in a circular shape

I don't think it's technically damage on the coin, it looks like some kind of metal flow or something of the sort. Sandwich Man, is it raised metal or a gauge into the metal on the coins you have?

is it raised metal or a gauge into the metal on the coins you have

It's raised metal, in all cases, on the same, concentric ring, with different thickness, height, and quadrant of the ring. Some affected letters show an edge stamped into the ring, and some are partially covered. I'm working on better pictures, of some other examples. Once I talk my FTP client into talking to my webserver again, I'll link in some full-size images.

I call that the Pollished Die error myself it is Very common almost to common. . .

that's a good possibility. I find that effect on US cent all the time, it is indeed pretty common. Although, wouldn't over polishing make the entire design weak as well?

well as the dies are used...to strike out thouands of coins especally the harder old copper planchets. The metal on the striking surface begins to flow to the point of least resistance. which is toward the outside. If the dies have come just a tiny bit out of horozontial alignment this can cause one side of the coin to be struck with more pressure then the other...and since there is more restiance on one side the metal will flow towards the opposite edge. But even if the dies are perfectily aligned this happens sometimes just from the massive amount of coins these dies strike. So I beleive a similar effect can be caused by both the die wearing.... and can be caused when the dies are out of alignment. The one pictured I would say is from the die wearing.

I made a "die-a-gram" haha sorry bad pun... of the pressures that are exerted on the planchets and dies during a single striking. the black arrows are the forces that the dies exert on the planchet each strike...the red arrows are the forces that the coin pushes back into the dies. I beleive that the pressure loads differ from the hammer to the anvil dies as most of these that I have seen have been much worse on the obverse.

x1yich.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

This is a common result of the strike since we started using the copper-plated zinc planchets in the latter part of 1982. It is simply the way the metal flows during thwe strike. The copper plating seems to move as the strike occurs and id pushed out toward the edge of the coin. Sometimes it's so bad that it seems to swallow up some of the lettering in the IN GOD WE TRUST motto.

It is not a worn die situation as nicely struck specimens exist. It's just the plating in motion over the zinc core.

It's a very, very common occurence.

Have Fun,

Bill

• 11 months later...

Bump

I've seen loads of these. Others probably have too. Hopefully this gives you a better idea of what you're looking at and how they came about. Cool, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived