CoinPeople.com

My new purchases

Hussulo

Hi everyone, I'm just new here!

I have only been collecting for just over a year now and can't seem to deside on what denomination or type of British coins to collect I have from Celtic up to modern. I think I might start on Halfpennys or Farthings, anyone else share my interest?

Here are some I bought this month.

Yeh its great to find a place where this hobby is appreciated. All my mates think im mad for collecting coins, but I really enjoy it. Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we were all the same. Its grate to have the advice of so many expert collectors grivna1726 and qxseries where most helpfull with a Russian coin I had which turned out to be a fake. Anyway thankyou all for the warm welcome!

Some nice pieces there Hussulo.

You obviously have more expendable income than me.

Pre 18C COPPER was/is my 1st love but there is unlimited temptation out there for me. :ninja:

Nice coins!!! I especially like the 1821 farthing :ninja:

Welcome to CoinPeople :lol:

My British addictions are Victoria (of course), George IV, and 18th century Conder Tokens.

I notice that a lot of your coins are slabbed. It's rather strange that someone from Scotland is buying slabbed coins. Not that I don't have a few myself, but the ones I have in slabs are mainly US coins.

Do you have a thing for US grading? Most collectors I know over on our side of the pond (myself included) generally cringe at slabs.

Ian

Well the thing is, where I live in Scotland there isn't much opportunitys for me to purchase coins therefore I buy most of my coins from the internet from sites like ebay, and becouse you cant see the coins in the flesh as it were I feel that buying slabed coins ofers you the peace of mind in the sense that the coin is genuine. I know many people disagree with some of the gradings given by companies especially over here in the UK (they feel the gradings are to generous). However I think if you stick to the bigger companies like PCGS, NGC and ANACS the grading is more accurate. Also I quite like the slabbs but the majority of my coins arent slabbed, they were just some I bought this past month. What is your favourite era of collecting Ian?

What is your favourite era of collecting Ian?

The coinage of late mediaeval france (ie 1500's) through to post Napoleon III (1880's) and silver jetons. I used to collect Brits, and although I add to my collection occasionally it hasn't been my main focus for quite some time.

Your knowledge of the slabbing companies is most unusual for a Scottish collector.

As to `peace of mind'....I have a nice slab of a `rotated reverse' Kennedy half dollar that contains a mechanically altered coin.....a fake in other words. I also have a slabbed `MS' graded 1902 shilling which just happens to be a matt proof. The third party graders involved were asleep at the wheel in relation to the attribution on both occasions.

Well thanks for the info guys, I geuss even the so called professionals get it wrong aswell (espessialy on a friday afternoon when they can't wait to get home :ninja: ). As for people that fake coins or slabs, well I know why they do it but its so annoying for a beginner numismatist like myself.

Archived