CoinPeople.com

Hi all! New member needing help

I have this coin that I inherited from my grandfather who served in World War I. (see attachments) Can you tell me anything about this coin. Is there any value to it and why were they handed out? I cannot seem to find any information about it on the internet. :ninja: Email me for a picture, unable to attach as it is too large to put on here.

Thank you,

John S. King

I have to check Hibler and Kappen's So-Called Dollar book when I get home (I'm at work), but here's similar medal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=8401928150

Its the So Called Dollar HK # 892 "Keep Your Powder Dry", Service in France/1918. Same medal, slightly different obverse inscription. As I say, I'll check H&K to see if they list multiple types.

Your medal is Hibler and Kappen 892 (bronze). 893 is listed as brass and 894 as white metal. They are listed as rare, 51-250 known with a value of $35. This is a moderate price for H&K listings, probably around $75 today, but lots of factors enter in to actual value. The piece is described with a 1917 date as your piece shows. What I found interesting is the pictured piece in the catalog has a 1918 date and the auction piece I cited earlier is for service in France, 1918. Obviously there were several varieties and we know H&K ignored (did not notice???) the difference between 1917 and 1918.

Type II features a female head (victory) on the obverse and a swastika on the chest of the eagle. The tokens were sold to families for presentation to soldiers for good luck. H&K note they were not popular.

I believe you have an interesting and historic piece with a family connection?

Welcome aboard!

Thank you Bill for the information. This is just about the only thing I have left from my fathers side. I didn't think it had much value, more sentimental value more than anything. I found it interesting that the internet could not provide me with more information on it. You would think that since they are rare, someone would post information about them. I really appreciate you taking the time to look it up.

My dad also left me a Morgan silver dollar, that was passed down from his dad. It is dated 1921 and has the "S" mark on it. I don't know much about this one either. Do you?

Thanks again!

John

Welcome. That's a nice token and I'm sure the sentimental value will far outdistance the cash value.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived