CoinPeople.com

Here's a couple

Mark Stilson

Now these are just those clean your own. And I've got to admit my patience was not enduring. I do have some more in the process which I will be. I may try hitting some with some voltage though.

910194.jpg

Need some help with this. I can tell its Valentinian just don't know I, II, or III

910193.jpg

Constantine II 337 to 400 AD Is the 337 right? Or was it a typo when I put it in?

Nice. Cleaning them is a real challenge. It certainly requires patience and dedication. (More than I have).

They did turn out better then I thought they would. I'm going to try some from a local coin dealer. He's got a little box of them which have not been moving. May see if I can get a deal on a batch of them. Most of those are decent size, no widows mites at least.

BTW, I posted this before but this works pretty good for ID'ing roman coins. Jencek's Obverse Legend Search Engine

Nice ones for cleaning. I'd avoid the voltage though, if they need that they're almost never worth it. Wildwinds also has a good legend search for helping ID those pesky little coins.

I make your first coin of Valentinian I 364-75. CRB548 (I'm refering to "Roman base metal coins" by Richard Plant)

Constantine II 337 to 400 AD Is the 337 right? Or was it a typo when I put it in?

337 is right, 400 wrong. 337-340 (ceasar 317-337) :ninja:

#1 - Valentinian III I think only struck AE4's so that's easy to rule out. I agree with geordie on Valentinian I:

Obv: DN VALENTINI-ANVS PF AVG (Valentinian I)

Rev: GLORIA RO-MANORVM

Mintmark: SMAQS (Aquilea)

Right field mark: palm branch

Ref: RIC IX Aquileia 7a, type viii (:ninja:, struck between 364-367

Second one: I can make out CONS? for the mintmark - if the last letter is an A, then is a pretty scarce one. B (what it looks like) and theta are more common ones.

Thanks, Geordie and ccg, updated info on them.

Looking at the Constantine II it appears to be a "B" followed by a "O"? at 5:00. But there does appear to be a line on the "O" simular to a small "a".

Thanks, Geordie and ccg, updated info on them.

Looking at the Constantine II it appears to be a "B" followed by a "O"? at 5:00. But there does appear to be a line on the "O" simular to a small "a".

CONSP would be Constantinople

CONST would be Arles

Those look like the most likely options to me

Purchased at the MSNS Convention from First Light Numismatics of Mason, Michigan.

Sear ROMAN SILVER COINS Hadrian 462b.

Obverse

Emperor right.

HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS PP

Reverse, seven-pointed star within crescent moon.

COS III

(Images removed 24Sept2010 - mem)

Purchased at the MSNS Convention from First Light Numismatics of Mason, Michigan.

Sear ROMAN SILVER COINS Hadrian 462b.

Obverse

Emperor right.

HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS PP

Reverse, seven-pointed star within crescent moon.

COS III

Cool, I do like the reverse, most of the astronomical reverses are intruiging.

Archived