CoinPeople.com

A Later Saxony Thaler with a Story

JamminJ

Here's a nice coin from my collection, a 1839 thaler from the German Kingdom of Saxony and struck at the Dresden mint.

1880343-010.jpg

Obverse has some frost on the portrait and lightly mirrored fields. Mostly white with a tough of auburn toning towards the rims. A few hairlines limit the grade but it is a solid gem. The reverse is fully prooflike with a nice forsty coat of arms and strongly mirrored fields. That's the coin, now the story...

Last year my wife needed to take a state licensing exam for psychology. Since her study habits were somewhat relaxed due to the arrival of our son she had some great worries about the results. I had no such worries but to help soften the blow in case she didn't pass we decided a wager was in order. If she failed I would buy for her an embroidery machine and should she pass I would receive a nice thaler. Since this post does not contain any embroidery you can probably guess the passed with no problem!

I selected this coin as it was a bit removed from my usual collection but really nice.

A great coin and a very nice story. Congrats to your wife on passing her exam. (Some people would say belated congrats, but for me this is right on time :ninja: ).

That was a great wager and a wonderful coin. I just wish you would quit tempting people with your collection :ninja:

Thanks to all for the comments. :ninja:

She eventually did get the embroidery machine alos, but had to wait for another occasion.

Beautiful coin and great story. The stories add to the value and enjoyment of the coins. By the way, did I see that your collection received recognition in the past year?

Gorgeous Thaler, JamminJ :ninja:

Beautiful coin and great story. The stories add to the value and enjoyment of the coins. By the way, did I see that your collection received recognition in the past year?

Yes, my set of Holy Roman Empire portrait thaler won an award as NGC's "most creative" signature set. The website architect liked the incusion of the contemproary portraits of each emperor. That's my number one set, about half way done with and approximately equal number of easy and tough coins left. They sent me a nice plaque (need to get a pic) and a coupon for photo proofs of the coins.

You can view the set here

Yes, my set of Holy Roman Empire portrait thaler won an award as NGC's "most creative" signature set.  The website architect liked the incusion of the contemproary portraits of each emperor.  That's my number one set, about half way done with and approximately equal number of easy and tough coins left.  They sent me a nice plaque (need to get a pic) and a coupon for photo proofs of the coins.

You can view the set here

While I am not a fan of slabbing for myself, that does not diminish my respect for your collection. Wow, that's one fine set of big silver coins and I do like the inclusion of the historic portraits. I like the ability to compare the work of the two artists in capturing the individual emperors.

What about the open slots. Are these pieces of higher value that you are not ready to acquire or (as I suspect) have you set a standard quality for each emperor based on some knowledge of the quality available on the market? How long has it taken you to build the collection to this point? How difficult is it/will it be to complete the collection?

Congratulations. Its a collection to be proud of.

While I am not a fan of slabbing for myself, that does not diminish my respect for your collection. Wow, that's one fine set of big silver coins and I do like the inclusion of the historic portraits. I like the ability to compare the work of the two artists in capturing the individual emperors.

What about the open slots. Are these pieces of higher value that you are not ready to acquire or (as I suspect) have you set a standard quality for each emperor based on some knowledge of the quality available on the market? How long has it taken you to build the collection to this point? How difficult is it/will it be to complete the collection?

Congratulations. Its a collection to be proud of.

Thanks!

The open slots are just ones I have not acquired yet. I'm making a consious effort to space buying the easy ones out so as not to be left with only killer coins missing from the set.

For the remaining ones:

Ferdinand I: Common but tough to find nice. Somewhat easier to find him as King then Emperor.

Maximillian II: Tough, I was recently underbidder on a Max with what I thought was a very strong bid.

Matthius: Very tough, I've only seen one ever and it was nasty and Hungarian.

Ferdinand III: Average, one will come along once I put some effort into it. NEN has one but it is too expensive.

Charles VII: Average, seen a few but none struck my fancy.

Francis I: Easy, going to wait for a choice mint state example. Underbidder on one in a Goldburg sale.

Jospeh II: Easy, looking for another mint state one during his sole reign.

Leopold II: Medium tough, very short reign limits availability.

Francis II: Easy, he reigned forever but need to get one from 1804 or earlier.

As for slabbing, some like it and some don't. I like to slab as it makes them very liquid to sell should I upgrade or move on, the holder provides unsurpassed protection and what can I say - I'm a registry junkie.

As for slabbing, some like it and some don't.  I like to slab as it makes them very liquid to sell should I upgrade or move on, the holder provides unsurpassed protection and what can I say - I'm a registry junkie.

No need to explain. I can understand the resale value and the protection slabbing affords. As long as you buy the coin and not the slab (I imagine most of yours are slabbed after the fact). I've been toying with a collection of US firsts from the golden years of the early 20th century (21 high relief Peace dollar, 1917 type 1 quarter (can't swing the 16), the 1916 walker, 1913 type 1 buff, etc. I've been looking at slabs since most of them are slabbed. Still, I want to hold those beauty's and enjoy them up close.

Happy hunting!

Archived