CoinPeople.com

My Tiny Ancient Coin Collection

JamminJ

In a neighboring thread the question was asked why don't you collect ancients. While I don't collect them seriously I have picked up a few inexpensive coins from local bidboards. Just oddball things that looked to be neat and well preserved which I unfortunately know little about. Being a plastic-a-holic I sent them off to ICG, have a look:

i1835470147.jpg

i1835470149.jpg

i1835470148.jpg

They came back pretty harshly graded IMO. I was expecting mid AU grades (US standards) on the first two and low mint state on the last.

Thanks for sharing, somewhere in all of my stuff I have a nice EF-AU Valentinian II, but I haven't seen it in sometime, I may have to go on an archeological dig to find it. My kids have more Romans than I do, they are more in their price range, or rather perhaps their bargaining range(like talking dealers down on Ants from Phillip II for $7.50 each.)

One might be the result of curiousity. Two, a passing fancy. But, three looks like the start of a collection. Nice coins. I wouldn't worry too much about the grading numbers attached to them, they are nice looking coins.

One might be the result of curiousity. Two, a passing fancy. But, three looks like the start of a collection. Nice coins. I wouldn't worry too much about the grading numbers attached to them, they are nice looking coins.

I agree with not worrying about the numbers. It was more of an experiment to see how ICG graded these compared to myself. If nothing else I learned not to be afriad of ancients in ICG XF or better holders. :ninja:

As for a new collection, I have so many already! :lol:

Nice coins and that's some handsome fellow in your sig line. Info please?

The handsome fellow is my son, Augustus Wilhelm, born on April 22, 2005. :ninja:

He's big for his age, a really good eater and just about mastering walking.

They came back pretty harshly graded IMO.  I was expecting mid AU grades (US standards) on the first two and low mint state on the last.

You can't really compare ancient to modern grading standards. A lot of hard core ancient collectors consider ICG quite liberal. There's fewer grades in ancients and a lot more non grade characteristics that play a role. Flan, centering of strike, patina, corrosion are just a few of the characteristics. The grades are typically:

FDC - Uncirculated - Choice EF - As struck

EF

good VF / aEF

VF

aVF = moderately worn

Fine = Main legends and devices are decipherable

Good = Outline of the main devices is all that is left

Fair = Cull

You can't really compare ancient to modern grading standards.  A lot of hard core ancient collectors consider ICG quite liberal.  There's fewer grades in ancients and a lot more non grade characteristics that play a role.  Flan, centering of strike, patina, corrosion are just a few of the characteristics.  The grades are typically:

FDC - Uncirculated - Choice EF - As struck

EF

good VF / aEF

VF

aVF = moderately worn

Fine = Main legends and devices are decipherable

Good = Outline of the main devices is all that is left

Fair = Cull

Thanks!

I'm semi familiar with the wold grading standards, especially how choice EF = mint state. However, ICG grades ancients by US standards with a 70 point scale (I asked Cameron Kiefer myself) which is the source of my surprize. I did double check with a local dealer who handles lots of ancients and he agreed the 3rd was mint state*. Really no big deal either way.

*Actually he said "I'd sell this as mint state." When I asked whether he meant it was actually mint state or just salable as such, after a chuckle or two he confirmed it really was mint stat in his opinon.

Thanks!

I'm semi familiar with the wold grading standards, especially how choice EF = mint state.  However, ICG grades ancients by US standards with a 70 point scale (I asked Cameron Kiefer myself) which is the source of my surprize. 

That is really interesting. Why would ICG decide to grade using a different grading standard than anyone other major player in ancient coins?

It just creates confusion :ninja: , especially for newbies who may start out with a few slabbed ICG coins. Also, I'd think the regular standards would be easier to do rather than try to fit ancients into the scale of a large cent collector.

Frankly, I could care less what someone in a third party grading service thinks of a coin, the only thing that really matters is that it appeals to me. Someone can say all they want, put it in print on a fancy holder, and still it means nothing if the eye appeal for me is not there.

Appreciate the coin, not the holder. Just my IMHO :ninja:

I second that opinion Dave. Ancients should always be bought on eye appeal.

Actually Aetheling, I would offer that all coins should be collected on eye appeal and not what someone else thought it "graded", this goes for USA Modern lovelies too.

The lousy thing is I really want to collect nice, high grade, high relief Peace Dollars and also St. Gaudens, hard to find them not encased in plastic now though.

Actually Aetheling, I would offer that all coins should be collected on eye appeal and not what someone else thought it "graded", this goes for USA Modern lovelies too.

The lousy thing is I really want to collect nice, high grade, high relief Peace Dollars and also St. Gaudens, hard to find them not encased in plastic now though.

I can remove the plastic encasing for a small fee :ninja:

Archived